PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Think I've ruined silk skirt and iron - what now?!

Options
I was doing some ironing, which is something I don't normally do, and I turned the iron down but didn't leave it long enough. I literally touched my silk skirt with it and it instantly made a hole through it :(

My iron now has melted skirt on it which I can't get off, what do I use? And my poor lovely skirt looks ruined. The only way it might be saved is because it's a wrap around and it was near the edge? How difficult is it to sew silk if I cut a new edge? It's quite long so there would be enough left.

Please advise, I feel such an idiot, and I STILL have loads of ironing to do!!

Comments

• ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not hard at all, (guide to hemming silk: https://youtu.be/Gi4bp_cv0kw) but are you sure it's silk?

I ask because silk scorches if it's too hot (goes brittle and discoloured) but burns cleanly and doesn't melt because it's a natural rather than synthetic fibre. Satin melts if it's too hot, or Silk sewn with poly thread the thread can melt.

Guide to cleaning the iron. http://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/laundry-tips/clean-scorched-iron
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Ariarnia! The label says 80% silk, 20% rayon; but it was from a market so it might not be accurate! It's two layers and one does feel silky whereas the other (which I burnt) is more coarse.
    Going to look at links now :)
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Ariarnia! The label says 80% silk, 20% rayon; but it was from a market so it might not be accurate! It's two layers and one does feel silky whereas the other (which I burnt) is more coarse.
    Going to look at links now :)

That makes more sense.

Re hemming, if it's partly synthetic, you might need to take a bit more off because the heat might have warped the threads.

If you trim it with a straight edge as close to the burn as possible, then lay it flat - you might see 'puckering' on the edge. Some of this you can make the hem, but you might need to just take another cm or two off to let it lie cleanly when you're wearing it.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some WD40 will work a treat on your iron. Can't say it will do the skirt any good though....
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure