Does my wedding budget look about right?

Options
124»

Comments

• Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you :)

Yes starting to realise weddings are a total pain.

I hate feeling stressed and making rash decisions so my plan is to organise one wedding item each month so I'm not trying to think of it all at once.

This is a really good idea. I rushed into everything and have so far bought 2 x wedding rings for me, 2 x rooms for OH and I for wedding night (long story) and a pair of shoes which I love but don't think I'll be able to walk in all day, so I think I'm going to have to get a second pair of those too. All of this was in a effort to be frugal, but I'm my own worst nightmare :rotfl:. I have honestly found the whole thing far more stressful than I ever expected so you're wise to do it that way.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We're skipping the wedding breakfast entirely. We'll have a late afternoon ceremony, followed by a drinks reception whilst the venue rearrange the furniture, then we're having sharing platters for food. This allows us to invite everybody to the "full day" that we wanted to be there but it also saved us quite a lot of money. I'm hoping for a really good chilli. :rotfl:

I feel really relaxed about the whole thing which is making it easy to prioritise what's important (I love cake) and what we're less bothered about (flowers). I also have plenty of time and have been shopping around. Found my dress for 75% off in a sample sale, bought my shoes brand new on eBay etc.
  • SJP2017
    Options
    I'm planning my wedding for this December, only started planning in Jan and have found that if I put in enough time and effort you can find a deal for everything.

For example, we haggled on the package price at the venue to get upgraded drinks package included. We've also found a photographer with a special offer at the moment (bluetog dot co dot uk) - £900 for top package, all others we found we at least £1200. I found a dress I loved then went to The National Wedding Show at the NEC to buy it because I knew there would be a show discount - I got over £300 off just by doing this!

I takes some dedication, but it can be done :)
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SJP2017 wrote: »

I takes some dedication, but it can be done :)

Yes it can. Your budget is completely doable. Our budget is £8.5k for 80 people including a 3 course meal and more guests at night.

I went to a couple pf proper wedding dress shops, found the dress I wanted then came home and bought it half price online. :D

OH designed the invites then we got them printed at total cost of £35. And they're beautiful.

There are some lovely wedding cakes and cupcakes from M and S, and places like that for much less than your standard wedding cake maker.

Your buffet is expensive. Ours is a fiver, and 75% being catered for is the same figure we were given. Not everyone will want to eat much if anything at this stage of the evening, no point in loads of waste.

There really are lots of ways to save money and it's good fun seeing how cheaply you can do it once you get into it. Try not to let it all get to you. It's a lovely thing to be planning and you don't want to lose sight of that. Recruit all the help you can from family, friends, OH, it makes all the difference. ;)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure