I've got my court date but don't know how to prepare?

Options
I think a few of you are already aware of my story so I won't bore you with the details but give you a quick run down ;)

Basically I am the NRP who is in arrears of £568... I have been through negotiations of trying to sort out what I can afford monthly but they have refused it so this is what it has come to...

My court date is on the 4th October.. And the CSA officer who will be representing them has asked me to call her, which I have done so 3 times leaving messages for her to call me back but have heard nothing yet.
Will it be my final chance to negotiate payments so it doesn't have to go to court or is it for me to pay the full amount?

I also want to know from anyone with experience what I will need to take to show my defence as there are periods when I shouldn't of been paying yet they have still charged me.

Also can someone please inform me about how travel costs effect the CSA as I travel over 600 miles a month to see my son but have recently heard that they have to take travel expenses into account when making an assessment, yet they never have with me?

Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to apply for a Variation for high contact costs - ask them for an application form for this. It won't make a pound for pound reduction, but anything is better than nothing.
  • enemes
    enemes Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow, sorry to hear it has come to that.

I am not familiar with your story so far, but ARE they really going to court over £568? Or am I missing something somewhere?
    :wave:
  • pnq06
    pnq06 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Kelloggs, I'll ask straight away but don't know if it'll apply to me (now) as its technically my partner who pays for traveling....

enemes- It is ridiculous- especially as I've (my partner) offered payment each month, which wasn't much but worked out down to the exact penny :o
    Although at the time the arrears were building I was unaware as it took them so long to tell me and I was blissfully unaware paying directly to my ex partner and also paying huge amounts in travel as he kept messing around with arrangements (trying not to get bitter!!!!!).

The most annoying thing about it all is that I haven't got a penny for them to take! They are quite aware of this and also the fact that I'm 3 weeks away from having a baby (I am a nonresident mother) I left my job with no maternity pay as I wasn't there long enough to qualify and I don't claim any benefits.
    I was still going to job interviews for temporary jobs at 7 months pregnant but was obviously turned down :rolleyes: I've even offered to work in the CSA office voluntary/community service style and surrender my passport in return for some more time to pay but my suggestions have been laughed at -Don't suppose I can blame them though as they do have a job to do... And I have a responsibility to pay.
  • reeree
    reeree Posts: 935 Forumite
    Options
    hi can i just ask you, are you not working at the moment and they are still saying that you have to pay
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you got a current assessment in place taking into account your circumstances with no money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure