Transfer of equity

edited 31 January 2017 at 6:35PM in Mortgages & Endowments
4 replies 778 views
Rooster1stRooster1st Forumite
3 Posts
edited 31 January 2017 at 6:35PM in Mortgages & Endowments
My wife and I have seperated and so she can get a mortgage on a new property she wants to transfer the joint mortgage we currently have over to me. The current mortgage is with the Halifax and we have £40,800 outstanding with 11 years & 6 months until it is paid off. Current monthly payments are £354 a month & I would estimate the current market value is £110,000. I am 50 years of age & earn the paltry amount of £15000 a year plus a bit of overtime. My wife only wants £ 15000 to transfer the house to me which would add that sum to the existing outstanding sum which would presumably take my mortgage up to £55,800? We have an appointment with the Halifax to discuss whether the transfer is viable. I presume I would be looking at extending to a further 25 year mortgage? We have always paid this mortgage every month and also the mortgage we had on our previious house which we had for 12 years. We have only had one loan for a car in all that time which we paid off every month & have no other debts.Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • This calculator only gives me a borrowable amount of 36,855.00. Do they not take into account any equity in the property with this.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Equity is no help with affordability.

Your income and the outgoings noted therein establish what is affordable.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • The amount varies greatly if number of dependants is reduced to zero. If my daughter who is 17 went to live with my wife the figure is £17000 more and with another £3000 I have in savings makes it just achievable. So if my daughter went to live with my wife at her mum & dad's until she goes to uni in summer would this alter their calculations?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals