Best course of action

Options
Ok, so the bankruptcy forms have been filled in with relevant details but not submitted yet, OH is moving in with me this weekend so Ive informed council tax, will inform tax credits on Friday and send the claim forms in on the same day so that side of things is in hand........

Mortgage company for his house has been in touch and he is going to ring them explaining he's filing for insolvency and take that from there.

Ive cancelled his water rates (payments up to date), TV licence (payments up to date) and phone line (payments up to date) He's on a meter for gas (in arrears) and electricity (up to date i believe) so he's going to ring them to sort that out.

Question 1 is, I know he has to still pay council tax on his property and buildings insurance. Is there anything else he needs to still pay after vacating the property this weekend?

Question 2 He has the insurance policy that runs along side his mortgage, as he's stopped paying his mortgage, does he still need to be paying this or can he cancel the policy?

Question 3 He has payments of 4x£2 come out of his bank monthly to creditors. Does he still need to be paying them until he files his bankruptcy forms or should he cancel the direct debit to them? Would he need to let them know his new address or would this be done within the bankruptcy?

Question 4 Im advised he's better off opening a new basic account with a bank he doesn't owe money to (current bank account is with mortgage lender) The only money going in is his wages every month £750, the outgoings are council tax, house insurance, mortgage insurance, £8 a month to creditors, minimal mobile phone monthly contract and the rest will be transferred to me to contribute to bills and household expenses. Is he better opening an account before or after filing the papers? and what will happen if the account gets frozen with regards to paying the few bills that come out? I don't want him to be in arrears any more than he has to be. Also, if his wages gets paid in and the account freezes, how does he transfer the surplus over to me to contribute to bills and living expenses?

Many thanks, hope you can help

Comments

• iquit
    iquit Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done for being clear, focused and organised. Your partner is lucky to have you. I don't have answers to your questions but I'm sure our more experienced forum members will be along to help you.
    2019 MFW No. 74 £13700/£30000 (45.66%)
    12k in 2018 No. 98 £6274.19/£18000 (34.85%)

BTL (start) £97440.00 (current) £68000.00
    Residential (start) £275000.00 (current) £268000.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family