SA Stuck in a loop

Options
I used to be self employed and employed, hence the reason i filled in the SA forms each year. However 2 years ago, i stopped being Self Employed and only work as PAYE.

At the time I told HMRC i had stopped being self employed, but they still asked me to fill in a SA form, last year i told them again, and again they asked me to the SA form.

I have looked on-line and it says as long as I am on PAYE, and don't have any other income to declare for tax purposes their is no need to fill in the form, and yet HMRC keeps sending the out. (I was told if i get one i must fill it in... as I always do).

I am now stuck in the loop forever being asked to fill in the SA form, with no way out?

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you put it in writing or did you just ring them?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Are your earnings into 40% tax - if so then you'd still need to fill one in in case of investment income etc that isn't covered by other allowances.

But apart from that HMRC is very good at getting things stuck in loops - a while back I realised they'd be loading my tax code for a benefit that I'd long since ceased receiving and hadn't been on my P11D for years - just never uncoded it!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sorcerer wrote: »
    I used to be self employed and employed, hence the reason i filled in the SA forms each year. However 2 years ago, i stopped being Self Employed and only work as PAYE.

At the time I told HMRC i had stopped being self employed, but they still asked me to fill in a SA form, last year i told them again, and again they asked me to the SA form.

I have looked on-line and it says as long as I am on PAYE, and don't have any other income to declare for tax purposes their is no need to fill in the form, and yet HMRC keeps sending the out. (I was told if i get one i must fill it in... as I always do).

I am now stuck in the loop forever being asked to fill in the SA form, with no way out?

Unfortunately, if you get asked by HMRC to complete an SA, you have to complete one.

However, it shouldn't be too taxing in the situation you describe - simply take the numbers off your P60 :)
    (and possibly include some interest you got from some savings)

It should result in an SA indicating you neither owe nor are owed any money to/from HMRC.

If that occurs for 2-3 consecutive years, I feel sure HMRC will stop requesting you complete an SA.

If, however, your SA is not quite that simple, that may explain why HMRC keep asking tou to complete one. :)
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Follow this online criteria check. https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-a-tax-return

If you dont need to do one follow the link at the end to notify HMRC online (you will need to set up a personal tax account if you dont already have one), this online form will then be used to remove you from SA.

Alternatively, next time you get a Notice to File letter call HMRC and object to the issue of a tax return. The adviser will go through the process of checking the SA criteria and if possible cancel the return and close the record.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • sorcerer
    sorcerer Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    Follow this online criteria check. https://www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-a-tax-return

If you dont need to do one follow the link at the end to notify HMRC online (you will need to set up a personal tax account if you dont already have one), this online form will then be used to remove you from SA.

Alternatively, next time you get a Notice to File letter call HMRC and object to the issue of a tax return. The adviser will go through the process of checking the SA criteria and if possible cancel the return and close the record.

I tried that, it said I didn't need to fill it in based on my answers, filled the form in and then they still asked me to fill in the form. I will wait to see if they ask me to fill in one for 2016/17.
  • sorcerer
    sorcerer Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    The annoying thing last year, because worked screwed up I ended up paying tax of £2.05p. Which will probably result them in sending me another one. But I am anticipating 2016/17 to be £0, as long as work get their figures right. Wait for my P60 on that one I guess.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    HMRC do now have the power to withdraw a notice to file a tax return. If you get one after April, ring them up and ask them to withdraw it.
  • TempUserName123
    Options
    The best thing to do is call them in April once you have received notice.

I have seen this occur plenty of times and it's as straight forward as a phone call. Once they can assess internally that you don't need a return, that should be the end of it.

For others that read this, if you're late in filing a Tax return for whatever reason, they will also accept the fact that one should never have been issued as you're on PAYE. This again can easily be resolved with a quick phone call.

It would appear that the HMRC agents have a little more power on the phone than they used to a few years ago,

Hope this helps :)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

For others that read this, if you're late in filing a Tax return for whatever reason, they will also accept the fact that one should never have been issued as you're on PAYE. This again can easily be resolved with a quick phone call.
    Are you sure about this?

OP make sure you get you get it in writing if they say they will cancel the requirement AFTER the letter saying it is necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure