Change of hours/days

Options
Hi Guys,

I am being made redundant in a couple of months, and my boss now wants me to work at a different location (still within the area) on different days and different shifts, starting in a week's time. We have recently had a completely new management team and they are ignoring all previous protocols.

I said that I was willing to go to the other location and came up with a shift pattern that still satisfied their requirements without compromising my current days off (I have commitments outside of work). But they have refused without any reason and demanded I work horrible hours with completely different days off.

Our hours aren't specified in our contracts, so I'm guessing that we are classed as working "shifts", however these have always been set shifts i.e. we work the same shifts every week with the same days off. Traditionally if the employer has wanted us to change hours/days they have given us at least one month notice. Can anyone advise as to whether this is statutory or is it likely that it was just customary and therefore can be ignored?

They are generally being very obnoxious and frankly if they are going to bully me then I would like to string it out for as long as possible until I can leave.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It seems to be far from uncommon for companies to try to 'encourage' staff to leave before redundancies are officially announced. That has the potential to save them a lot of money.
    From what you are saying, it's only likely to be a short term problem, so I would suggest sticking it out if you can.♠
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure