Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's a huge amount to be said for that thing of getting rid of accounts and getting them closed sometimes.

Suggestion - when the new 0% cards are all set up, rather than setting the DD's for the minimum payment, which will of course decrease as the balance falls, set it to the amount of the first minimum payment which, after all, you know you can afford. That way you quietly pay off a little more each month as time goes on, than you would, and this in turn means that when you finally get to tackling those cards, you'll already have done some of the legwork without really trying. The drop each month is relatively small, so won't make a HUGE impact on what you would be paying off other debts otherwise. ;) Stealth-debt-payments. :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    That is a great idea, thank you! I love the term stealth debt-payments :) I'm all about the stealthy debt busting ;)
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The catalogue payment is a high interest rate and it's already nearly gone! If you're the kind of person who really enjoys the satisfaction of crossing something off a to-do list (I am!) that would be a good one to focus on next and then you're one down!
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be inclined to agree with you - it'd give me so much satisfaction to see one debt completely crossed off the list and it should be relatively easy to achieve in comparison to the others. Although I'm still in £16k debt, it makes me satisfied that it's only across three debts rather than £20k across 6/7 places when I first started. It really does make a difference and feel like progress is being made!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    dionysia wrote: »
    The catalogue payment is a high interest rate and it's already nearly gone! If you're the kind of person who really enjoys the satisfaction of crossing something off a to-do list (I am!) that would be a good one to focus on next and then you're one down!
    JoJoC wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with you - it'd give me so much satisfaction to see one debt completely crossed off the list and it should be relatively easy to achieve in comparison to the others. Although I'm still in £16k debt, it makes me satisfied that it's only across three debts rather than £20k across 6/7 places when I first started. It really does make a difference and feel like progress is being made!

These are such good points! I've decided that the catalogue debt is going to be my priority once the urgent MBNA tranches are cleared.

I received the PIN for my Tesco CC today, hopefully the card will arrive tomorrow or Saturday so that I can crack on with the first balance transfer :T
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Slight delay with Lloyds application, took my documents in only to realise that my address verification was over 3 months old. Cannot find a single piece of "official" mail with a more recent date so have ordered a duplicate statement from my bank. It should be with me in 5 days so will go back to Lloyds next week with the correct documents.

I signed up to Prolific today, I've been seeing it pop up in other people's diaries so fingers crossed I'll get some nice survey rewards from this!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Does Prolific email you when there is a new survey or is it best to check the site frequently to see if there is anything new?
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Definitely need to check the site regularly GC, I don't think I've ever had an email unless it's for the 2nd part of a study I've already started :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Re: "official" letters, you can go into your bank branch and ask them to print a statement and stamp each page with their official seal to certify it. This is what I tell my clients at work because nobody gets letters nowadays. They SHOULD accept this although occasionally people don't take it so it may be risky. Re: prolific I always just check it regularly, I've never gotten emails from them for surveys. The best time for surveys is morning and early afternoon for me.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    I always check too, I don't think I've ever had an email saying there was a study available

It's one of the best sites though :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure