A Ditherer's Diary (again)

Comments

• Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So Sunday wasn't an NSD for me as I bought a can of Dr Pepper for DD for journey down to Portsmouth (and a coffee for me).

I did get a free lunch for today though. My friend bought a sushi pack for her vegetarian niece; only to find out it was chicken and duck! :eek: So I brought it home for lunch today. :D

The leotard I bought for Goddaughter is too small so I need to exchange it for a bigger size. The shop I bought from doesn't have a branch near my friend but I can drop it off at her Mum's house as she lives near me. Saves me posting it.

No news on the builders and getting their address. Everyone has an opinion though :( my best friend's Dad gave me some good advise yesterday though. He was a structural engineer (retired) and knows his stuff.

Off to check on the bank balance now. Two days to pay day... and counting.
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • What a bonus with the sushi lunch :) and the spending over the weekend doesn't sound too bad at all. A leotard is such a thoughtful present and she'll get great use out of it in gymnastics lessons.

I hope that the problem with the builders resolves soon, such a pain and unnecessary stress you really don't need :(

Not long til payday now, you're in the home straight! I've still got two weeks to go :undecided:
  • Naomim
    So I made it to payday but not with any more NSD's. I don't think I'm going to hit my February target of 8 unless I have a great couple of weeks! :o

Yesterday I took the kids to the Science Museum, thinking lovely museums are free, cheap day out. Ooh no. It is free to get in but they "suggest" £5 per person donation - you don't have to pay but there's a row of tills you have to walk through. If you want to see any of the "non - regular" displays then it's mega expensive! There was one about Robots but it was £15 for adults and £13 each for the children. Well out of our price range sadly.

Today I paid my Tesco card. I used to do this - do all my shopping and pay with my Tesco credit card then pay it all off at the end of the month. somewhere along the line I stopped and racked up a £3k debt. I had paid some off and the balance has now been transferred to a 0% interest card so today I paid my last month's shopping and petrol.

My overdraft has gone up this month but I think I know where. 1. One of my credit card direct debits had been cancelled because I hadn't used the account for so long so I had to make 2 months payment in one go. 2. I used to put £300 by to pay for Christmas, birthdays, car tax, house insurance & emergency fund. Again this went by the wayside and I've set it up again.

I've done my forward forecast spreadsheet and as long as we stick to it we should be out of the overdraft by May. With all my credit cards now being on 0%, the minimums should drop a bit and lower the O/D.

Now I just need to get MrM to stop smoking!! :(

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Naomim
    Friday night was a trip to Aldi for my weekly shop. I braved it without a list which usually spells disaster but I think I managed ok and managed to spend £61. Last month I was £25 over my shopping/petrol fund so need to see if I can get it down a bit this month.

I popped into town today as MrM needed new shoes for work. I think I'm turning into my Mum. I went in the charity shop and bought a pretty cup & saucer to go in a glass display cabinet in my kitchen. £1.50 spend. I've logged it on my wallet app.

I was planning an NSD day tomorrow but just remembered I need to get the stuff you put inside your hob, fan thingy. I might wait until Monday!

Naomi x
  • Naomim
    So after being inspired by other diaries, and people selling bits and pieces on eBay. I listed two items today and I've sold a duvet on FB which has already been collected and paid for. £10 extra in the pot so far.
  • Those builders sound like absolute nightmares!
    Just a thought, if you have a pedestal or cabinet in work would you be able to store a multi pack of crisps and/or emergency couscous or dried pasta pot?
    May help if you've forgotten lunch, I do it with emergency biscuits for those days I need a pick me up in the office.
    Does sound like you have a handle on it and will get there! Now if only you could get the money back off the builder.

If any of their invoices had a governing body e.g. elecsa for electric, maybe contacting them would be worth a shot?
  • Well done for getting all your credit cards at 0%.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Naomim
    Those builders sound like absolute nightmares!
    Just a thought, if you have a pedestal or cabinet in work would you be able to store a multi pack of crisps and/or emergency couscous or dried pasta pot?
    May help if you've forgotten lunch, I do it with emergency biscuits for those days I need a pick me up in the office.
    Does sound like you have a handle on it and will get there! Now if only you could get the money back off the builder.

If any of their invoices had a governing body e.g. elecsa for electric, maybe contacting them would be worth a shot?

Yup I usually have a packet of chocolate digestives, some cuppa soups and at the moment I have 6 double deckers. They are 4 for £1 in the co-op opposite work. It doesn't help with the diet but I can't concentrate on diet & debt busting in one go. :rotfl: I also keep cereal at work so use their milk and we have free tea & coffee so I drink gallons of the stuff.

It's been a nightmare with the builders but then again, with hindsight; there's a lot we should have done differently but it is what it is. They are registered with NIC EIC the electrical regulatory body so we are going to put in a formal complaint. We are working on trying to find his current address at the moment. I called Findermonkey today but they want to charge £199. I also think we need to consult a litigation solicitor to find out more on where we stand with taking the builder to court. There's no point putting in a massive claim if realistically we'd have no chance of getting anything back.

11yo lost another tooth today. These last baby teeth are falling out at a rate of knots!:eek: Always the days when I have no cash too. A purse full of shrapnel, I think he'd notice that under his pillow :D

I'm also researching the YNAB system. At the moment I budget for bills etc and check bank statement daily so I know what still needs to come out. This seems to be putting it all away before you get it. I just think I have too many "miscellaneous" spends. I'm not sure how it would work for me.

Naomi
  • Naomim
    Well done for getting all your credit cards at 0%.

It took a lot of shuffling and has obviously increased my debt due to the charges but at least in the long run it will be better and more of the actual debt will be paid off. I need to re-enter all my figures into my snowball calculator and see if I can get it down from 8 years! :rotfl:
  • I can't say I've looked into YNAB.
    I think there are a fair few posts that may be able to point you in the right direction?

Eh, you can diet once the debts (or at least builders problems) are all sorted!
    You've only got 1 life and you've got to have some enjoyment when times are tough!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback