PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning Oven Tips, Please

Options
Hey guys.

Our oven had got into a right state and had also started smoking when the oven was in use. I've tried to clean it using those magic eraser things (an Oven Pride one), normal washing up liquid, bicarb and vinegar etc, and it's still smoking. :(

Can burnt food on the racks cause this? Have to admit I always neglect the racks (by accident, of course.)

Anyway, this is driving me crazy!

Any tips, please?

Thank you in advance.
2019 Wins
1/25

£2019 in 2019
£10/£2019

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For the racks get the stuff where you put the racks in a plastic bag and leave them to soak in the cleaner. If you have burnt on grot on the elements and on the floor and sides of The oven, it's harder.

But tbh when my ovens got into a state, and were difficult to clean because they were so small, I splashed out on an oven cleaning company. I don't regret a penny of the cost - they look like new.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would try oven pride first. If no good then pay someone. Bicarb, vinegar etc. Will be a waste of time and money. ;)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I find that putting the oven racks through the dishwasher really helps. They will come out looking just as bad as when they went in but don't panic. If you scrub them with a washing up scourer as soon as they come out, most of the grot will come off.

The other thing that works well in summer, but, sadly, not at this time of year , is to put the crud coated item in a black plastic sack, add a splash of ammonia and tie the top in a knot and leave in the sun for most of the day. Hold your breath when opening the sack, the fumes are strong. Most of the crud will then rinse off. Don't leave it overnight, this stuff is so strong it can take the chrome off oven shelves if you leave it too long, but it is brilliant for enamel grill pans
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I use a steam cleaner. No chemicals.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My pal works in a school as a technician in food technology. She swears by soaking racks in biological washing powder.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    esmy wrote: »
    My pal works in a school as a technician in food technology. She swears by soaking racks in biological washing powder.

This was a method recommended to me for cleaning the oven / grill racks when 'marching out' of army quarters - cookers had to be pristine.

It works with a bit of elbow grease but DONT USE THE BATH to soak them as some plastics / enamel can become discoloured or roughen as a result of prolonged contact... and that would be a very expensive mistake to make.
    :hello:
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anyone you know has a steam cleaner ask to borrow it. Get a pack of cheap microfibres from the pound shop (wouldnt use the ones that come with the yellow branded cleaner as they are expensive to replace and the gunk is easier just thrown in the bin).

It takes us about half an hour to steam the oven and shelves (we use a plastic storage box for the shelves so they don't get gunk all over the bath.

Failing that phone in the professionals.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mines smoking too, even though it looks clean

I think cooking the goose has got fat on the fans so I'm going to have to put it on self clean to burn it off

Could that be the same problem for you?

For the racks and bottom I use oven pride if really gunky
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The oven instructions say not to use steam cleaners. I'm not sure why!

It doesn't have a self-cleaning function. :(

I'll try the other suggestions and report back. Thank you so much guys. :)
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use Oven Pride that's in a box put the oven racks in the bag provided and put somewhere in the garden as I find the bag leaks. The longer you leave it the easier it be to clean them with a metal scourer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure