NEST pension

Options
Hi All

Comments and advice welcomed. I am 55 years old I am unsure if I should opt into NEST.
My employer will pay £36 and I will pay £26. I will retire at 67.
Will I benefit from paying into this pension. I calculated my total pot to be roughly £11000.
I may be able to lift this all as it is under £30,000 or monthly £440. Should I commit?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Options
    If you don't, you'll be saying 'thanks but no thanks' to your employer's £36 per month.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And goodbye to tax relief from the Government on your contribution
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am 55 years old I am unsure if I should opt into NEST.

Why are you unsure? It seems a total no brainer to join it.
    My employer will pay £36 and I will pay £26. I will retire at 67.

Join and you get £36 free money from the employer and £9 from the Government on each contribution you make. Don't join and that is £45 lost.

The retirement age of 67 is irrelevant as it is flexible.
    Will I benefit from paying into this pension. I calculated my total pot to be roughly £11000.

That appears to be ignoring growth as the likely figure is going to be higher. However, lets just say its £11k, That would mean you have £11k of which you only contributed less than half towards. The employer and Govt did the rest.
    I may be able to lift this all as it is under £30,000 or monthly £440.

Not sure what you are getting at that in respect of those figures. They dont apply to money purchase.
    Should I commit?

Take the free money or throw it away.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure