Double checking if my food is ok to eat after moving freezer in house move.

What I did was put food in bags when removal van came, took it over to new place, left freezer unplugged for a day but put what I could in freezer bag inside the freezer, the freezer was still iced up the next day, everything rock solid cold which surprised me as I thought at very least it would be starting to defrost.

The chicken I had in there was rock solid.

Is it safe to eat though? Even the burgers were rock solid though they were in a pack of 8 so the surface area means they would stay frozen longer)

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everything is still frozen solid then it will be fine to eat.

Denise
  • TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    dekaspace wrote: »
    What I did was put food in bags when removal van came, took it over to new place, left freezer unplugged for a day but put what I could in freezer bag inside the freezer, the freezer was still iced up the next day, everything rock solid cold which surprised me as I thought at very least it would be starting to defrost.

The chicken I had in there was rock solid.

Is it safe to eat though? Even the burgers were rock solid though they were in a pack of 8 so the surface area means they would stay frozen longer)

I'm always super cautious about frozen food and the possibility of it thawing and then re-freezing... it's a recipe for disaster.

Have a look here:

https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/power_outages.html
    :hello:
  • SoworriedSoworried Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd eat it.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • monnagranmonnagran Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, it'll be fine. It sounds as though it didn't defrost enough to do any damage.

Sensible to check though. Well done.
    x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • I'm always super cautious about frozen food and the possibility of it thawing and then re-freezing... it's a recipe for disaster.

Have a look here:

It didn't thaw though, and even the walls of the freezer were just as solid and full of ice as when it was turned off(helps its cold in flat)

I would panic more if it was frozen but starting to defrost but there was no sign, in fact as a test I tapped the chicken on side of sink and it was like a boulder even the day after it came out of freezer.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides