Actifry...or imilr....any experience/views/recommendations?

PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
3.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
I have, unexpectedly, been given a little cash to but myself 'a little something' for the kitchen.

I am a keen cook, but disability means that I am limited with what I can do these days....no sharp knives for me...and cooking with hot-fat is downright dangerous for me and the whole of the building!

I don't own a hotplate....getting by with my microwave and my mini-oven.

One thing I have really missed is stir-frying....I really used to enjoy Chinese/Thai style stir-fries....

.I was looking online for inspiration and found that an Actifry can do a stir-fry! (I had never really thought of this before!)...Has anyone here had any experience of this? From what I can see, you don't need to stand over the pan and stir the ingredients (which can be troublesome for me)...just place the ingredients in the fryer close the lid and switch on - (which I can manage!)

So, does anyone have one of these fryers?....Are they any good?....Worth the expense? (I am a single woman who mainly cooks just for one) - The stuff I have read online makes the fryer look brilliant - but I'd rather know what Old-stylers here, with practical experience of one would say!

Replies

• edited 30 December 2016 at 3:08PM
    TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2016 at 3:08PM
    I don't have an Actifry so can't comment on how well they do a stir fry but I'm wondering what it is about a standard wok that you can't use as the same may well apply to using the Actifry.

Giving more detail about your disability may help people give you more advice.

As to air fryers in general - I have the Halo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VDF105-Halo-Health-Fryer/dp/B00KIO2LC8/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483110203&sr=1-4&keywords=halo

It makes great chips, roasties etc and does act as a grill as well BUT the veggies still need to be chopped and prepared so this gadget just helps with low fat cooking and ease of not putting the oven on - it doesn't help with dexterity / hand strength issues and I doubt the Actifry will either.

ETA - how about buying a halogen hotplate instead and then getting a light set of pans?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Everyday-Induction-IH201840-Ceramic/dp/B00ER445UQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483110458&sr=1-1&keywords=halogen+hob
    :hello:
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Tiddlywinks!

I am severely dyspraxic....which means I have really !!!!!! coordination. I cannot handle pans very well (not at all on one of my 'bad' days). I cannot chop veggies by hand, but I have a really good electric chopper that really helps!

Also, I cannot stand too well. ....Combining standing a holding a pan (even a light one) is not really an option - especially one that is hot (certainly not a chip pan with oil!....which is why I eat wedgies baked in the oven instead)

I had hoped that a fryer would just need loading and switching on.
  • edited 30 December 2016 at 5:18PM
    TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2016 at 5:18PM
    I love the Halo I have for wedgies etc as it does a good amount in virtually no fat and acts as a grill as well - but, assuming it works with the same sort of technology as an Actifry, I'm not sure how crunchy a stir fry would be.

I have arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and Raynauds in both hands plus have a compromised shoulder joint after an operation - so I can understand the limitations of not having the coordination for sharp and hot objects.

Don't want to keep on BUT (sorry) with a halogen hob you can place it on a table or lower surface and then sit next to it when using it. Would you be able to manage a light weight wok then whilst sitting next to it? You could then also use the hob for all sorts of other jobs that you can't do at the moment such as fry ups, making grilled sandwiches, stew pots etc.

Which Actifry are you after? Some have a drawer and some have a flip top lid... you'll need to have a play around with them I guess to see which works for you. The one with the drawer might be as much of a juggle as a pan anyway.

PS - which chopper do you use as I'm always on the lookout for something better / safer to use.

PPS - I chose the Halo because it appeared to be the easiest to clean - that's always something to keep in mind.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have an Actifry and although we haven't used it a great deal we have been very pleased with what it does. Things like home made fish cakes are crispy outside and fluffy inside. Chips and wedges are great and need just a teaspoon of oil. I have joined a facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/airfryerrecipes/
    and a lot of the members are from Asia, Singapore, etc. so suggest you join up and see the sort of recipes they are enjoying. They are so versatile but you do need space to store it. Mine is in the garage until needed.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • happyandcontentedhappyandcontented Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are the parts on these dishwasher safe?
  • We have an older actifry .....it's heavy and difficult to clean. I suggest you go into somewhere like L*keland and get an assistant to show them all to you. You can ask about how they come apart for cleaning, try lifting one etc.
  • edited 31 December 2016 at 6:48AM
    rosie383rosie383 Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 December 2016 at 6:48AM
    Like Tiddlywinks I have the Beeville Halo plus. We love it and use it most days.
    I'd think it would do a semi-decent stir fry for you. You aren't going to get hot, fast, stir frying, but if you buy one of those bags of stir fry veg and chuck it in, it would cook them for you. I have used it to cook veg with no problem.
    Because the Halo tilts the food kind of falls around lightly inside if you want it to, a bit like a tumble dryer, but not quite.

According to pricerunner, it's cheapest in Amazon at the minute, at £79. Worth maybe hanging on a week or two in case Currys have it on sale in the New Year.
    Also check out places like Dunelm. We got a Nutri Blitzer in Asda for £49.99 which was showing as being cheapest, only to go into Dunelm the next day and find it there for £44.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • retiredladyretiredlady Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an actifry and love it. It's used several times a week, mainly for almost fat free chips, however I have used it for fish cakes etc.
    The cooking parts go in the dishwasher. I've seen my friends air fryer but I didn't think it cooked as well as the actifry. Especially for larger family size portions!
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • PrinzessileinPrinzessilein Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the comments!...I will look at the Halo.

The 'Cumbrian Based Kitchen Store' is a place I love! Their catalogues are almost kitchen-!!!!!! to a foodie like me! I will see what they have on offer.

And Tiddlywinks...that is the place where I got my chopper...they do a small own-name electric chopper....and I also have their spralizer which is fantastic for prepping veggies (does spirals, ribbons and spaghetti)
  • TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'Cumbrian Based Kitchen Store' is a place I love! Their catalogues are almost kitchen-!!!!!! to a foodie like me! I will see what they have on offer.

Sat scratching my head for a few minutes and then <flash of inspiration> LAKELAND!

:D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides