End of Employment - Need Help

Options
OK so my girlfriend was given a written warning at work for breaching a policy that isn't written down, and has never been verbally communicated to her. The entire disciplinary process has been a farce, one thing has lead to another and she went to a solicitors who have contacted her employer advising she has no intention of going back to work and requesting an agreed reference for future work and 6 months pay. She has been signed off sick with a recurrence of anxiety brought on by work before this whole thing started, but this situation hasn't exactly helped.

Presumably because of the Christmas break and letters being sent to different people, her employer has asked her to go to head office for the appeal meeting. She will be referring this letter to the solicitor when he returns on Tuesday.

She has been off work for the best part of December, and I wondered what happens if she is signed off as fit to return to work? She doesn't want to go back and her solicitor has informed the employer of this (although there has been no response). Would she have to go back until this is resolved? When can she start applying for new jobs after being signed off fit for work? Can she resign from work and continue action against the employer via her solicitor?

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    How long has she worked there?
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    How long has she worked there?

Around 5 years, worked her way up to management about 2 years ago?
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If she is signed off fit to return to work and doesn't go back to work then I would expect her to be disciplined. If she has a written warning already I would expect termination proceedings to start.

If she's got a solicitor involved already then she will be best off asking them what her legal options are.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure