Cold back when running

I'm following Couch 2 5K at the moment and for the first time in my life I reckon I could actually be a runner.

Yesterday I was wearing infrared leggings (they reflect your body heat back at you, UnderArmour ColdGear but base layer rather than workout gear), shorts which won't count for anything except to maintain some of my dignity, a short sleeve lightweight tee (Under Armour HeatGear) and a long sleeved lightweight top over that (also HeatGear), zipped right up to keep my neck warm, plus thin gloves and a woolly hat.

My back was the only bit to stay cold even once I was in full swing. My chest was warm as I wanted to unzip the top (I don't though, as keeping my neck warm seems to stop the sore throat I used to get breathing cold air) and my arms/legs/hands/head/feet were all fine, but the middle of my back was complaining.

Can any experienced runners tell me whether this is normal? Is it just because I'm still in the 50/50 run/walk stage, so it'll improve as the running increases? Am I wearing the wrong kit? I tend to run rather than jog and I don't know if I could pick up the pace.

Comments

• You're pretty overloaded with layers. I just run with shorts and a thin long sleeve top in winter, but you obviously feel the cold more.

I'd suggest you're just very sensitive to the cold. Hopefully you'll even out your cold and warm spots as time goes by.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    It does sound like a lot of layers to me too. But I guess that if you are running and walking then you would feel the cold. Once you get to constant running you should be able to get away with less.

It was -1 this morning when I went out, and as I was only going for a gentle easy run I put leggings on with a long sleeved baselayer and gloves. The gloves came off about 3 miles in as I was far too hot.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks both. I do feel the cold generally so it could just be that.
  • DD265 wrote: »
    I'm following Couch 2 5K at the moment and for the first time in my life I reckon I could actually be a runner.

Yesterday I was wearing infrared leggings (they reflect your body heat back at you, UnderArmour ColdGear but base layer rather than workout gear), shorts which won't count for anything except to maintain some of my dignity, a short sleeve lightweight tee (Under Armour HeatGear) and a long sleeved lightweight top over that (also HeatGear), zipped right up to keep my neck warm, plus thin gloves and a woolly hat.

My back was the only bit to stay cold even once I was in full swing. My chest was warm as I wanted to unzip the top (I don't though, as keeping my neck warm seems to stop the sore throat I used to get breathing cold air) and my arms/legs/hands/head/feet were all fine, but the middle of my back was complaining.

Can any experienced runners tell me whether this is normal? Is it just because I'm still in the 50/50 run/walk stage, so it'll improve as the running increases? Am I wearing the wrong kit? I tend to run rather than jog and I don't know if I could pick up the pace.

I'm not a runner but I have heard of this phenomenon with cyclists and friends that have taken up running.

Please don't take this the wrong way as it's meant to be helpful advice but could be seen as insulting. It really isn't meant to be.

If you are a not very good runner/cyclist due to not having done huge amounts of training yet than you can find that you start to sweat as a result of you exertions but you then have to walk or slow down for a bit so you no longer generate enough heat to keep you warm in your sweaty condition. It sounds to me like that might be the case with you. The solution? Carry on with your training and the problem will resolve itself! In the meantime perhaps a gillet or similar might keep your back warm when you are in the cooling down but not producing heat phase.

Good luck with the running, I wish you all the best with it next year.
  • DD265
    Forumite
    No offence taken, and that's definitely a possibility. With Couch 2 5K it's basically interval training between walks and jogging/running so exactly the conditions you describe. :)

I borrowed one of OH's UA ColdGear tops which was a little on the large side but it definitely helped. Have asked family to contribute to the costs of buying my own for my birthday next month and in the mean time I shall be borrowing OH's again this afternoon. :D
  • JohnnyJet
    JohnnyJet Posts: 297
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2016 at 8:29PM
    It may be down to the speed that you are running, I only get cold during the first 1k of running and I just wear 2 thin layers during the winter. When you become faster and manage to run the entire distance you probably won't feel it as much. If you sweat a lot this will also cool you down, but for me only when I slow down. What sort of pace are you managing to do at the moment?
  • DD265 wrote: »
    No offence taken, and that's definitely a possibility. With Couch 2 5K it's basically interval training between walks and jogging/running so exactly the conditions you describe. :)

I borrowed one of OH's UA ColdGear tops which was a little on the large side but it definitely helped. Have asked family to contribute to the costs of buying my own for my birthday next month and in the mean time I shall be borrowing OH's again this afternoon. :D

Brilliant. It's the sort of problem that will solve itself as you get stronger.

Good luck with the running and please report back on how you're getting on. I would love to know how you're going.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was going to say the same, it is most likely due to sweating most on your back and then body cooling down when you walk. You won't feel it any longer when you do continuous run. My advice though would be to wear a merino base layer to absorb the sweat and then wind proof jacket as it is the wind that brings the coldness. I have found Gore Tex to really do the job even though I was initially dubious and not prepared to pay the extra cost.
  • DD265
    Forumite
    Work actually got us all North Face lightweight jackets for Christmas, but I worry that it'll just make me sweat buckets. To be fair when I think back to my waterproof jackets years ago they were all cheapies. I'll test it out on one of my next runs.

Thursday was the first time I ran/walked a line, rather than a loop. It's 2.4 miles to the stables along the canal with minimal road at either end and the timings of C25K week 3 day 1 suit that route perfectly. I then walked home. There is a horrid hill up to the stables (by which point C25K was finished) and I wanted to crawl up it by the end.

Yesterday I repeated the same but was in danger of getting stuck in the dark on the canal so I jogged some of the way home too. The walk up the hill was still tough but I felt like I recovered quicker and I didn't want to collapse in a heap at the top quite so much.

I'll do the same again tomorrow and there's an increase in the running times but it should still fit nicely. I need to make sure I give myself a good going over with a massage ball later as that definitely helps my recovery. Then it's back to work, so during the week I'll do loops on my lunch breaks (same amount of time, just no walk back) and save the trek to the stables for daylight at the weekend.

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying this :rotfl:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    DD265 a decent tight fitting baselayer / compression layer with a t-shirt over the top should do the job and stop drafts.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport