We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advert in local paper

Options
I know on the scale of things, may be this should be the least of my worries but the thought of everyone knowing my business seems even more depressing. Are advertisments always placed? and if so what information do they have to include, I currently have a job where if one of the 'unsavoury' characters which I sometimes come in contact with recognises my name and therefore has access to my address this may have undesirable consequenses.

I seem to be living the whole procedure all day every day and every night, seeking advice or re-assurance for one thing then directly skipping to another. We are currently saving for the fees and it feels like an eternity.
BSC member 117

Comments

• Lizzibuff
    Options
    Its just (or at least mine was) a small article in the local paper. It was amongst the births, deaths & marriages. It was a small piece headed bankruptcy and then underneath was a list of all the people that had been made BR. It showed my name, my occupation & my address. To be honest i seriously doubt anyone would notice it unless they were looking.

Ignoring those sad busy bodies tho that read all that section in extreme detail to make sure they know everyone's business!! lol
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Are advertisments always placed? and if so what information do they have to include, I currently have a job where if one of the 'unsavoury' characters which I sometimes come in contact with recognises my name and therefore has access to my address this may have undesirable consequenses.

Normally, yes. And Lizzi is dead right. The adverts are normally tiny.

But, if you have a genuine reason for not wanting it published in the paper you can make a request that it isn't. It really does have to be a question of you or your families safety though.
    One example that I've heard of was where a bankrupt had been subject to harassment and violence from an ex, and she was afraid that publishing the details would allow him to find her.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,295 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    other exceptions are police or prison officers. You'll need to state your case to the judge, as it is his/her decision.
  • taib0
    taib0 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Hi SW, I know how you feel we we're just the same. I stopped getting the evening news after about a week because it wasn't in and I was sick of looking for it. I got a phone call from a mate of mine last monday who said " I'm not being nosy but was you in the paper on friday " :eek: ( tha sad git must read the insolvency section ) So that was it every man and his dog knows.

I just said I was mate unfortunately the tax man caught up with me and presented me with a £38,000 tax bill that I couldn't pay. As silly as it sounds he did me a massive favour because for the first time in about 30 years I am totally debt free. I honestly don't give a toss who knows now I have no debt and its lovely :j:j

Taib0
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    This subject is so sensitive.

We were declared bankrupt together (husband and wife) and I'm far less bothered about what people think of me than my O.H is. (or so I thought)

We live in a small village and seldom buy the local paper but my O.H religiously bought a copy every evening until she found the notice. She stood at the counter waiting to pay and sure enough some feeble minded jerk made a comment along the lines of "Hey Mrs x, I see you made the paper again".

She just smiled sweetly and said "Thank you, I really will worry when people stop talking about me".

How do I know this happened? She was stood talking to my Father and the guy was trying to embarrass them both; just didn't work for the poor suffering cretin; he didn't even bother waiting to pay for his shopping; the people who'd heard were sympatheitic to us and he walked out looking more than a little silly.
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    I worried about the paper thing too, probably more than anything else, yet when it happend it was swamped by other people who had also gone BR and it (as far as i know) went unnoticed by everyone.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    I worried about the paper thing too, probably more than anything else, yet when it happend it was swamped by other people who had also gone BR and it (as far as i know) went unnoticed by everyone.

I don't know about that bltn,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I saw it and thought, "phew, pleased she didn't owe me anything before she went bust".:rotfl: :rotfl:
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    :p:p
    you would have been top of my 'pay off' list if i'd owed you anything my sweet:p
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • savagevixen
    Options
    Our local area is full of know it all busy bodies. I had expected it to be in the local weekly paper. It was in the daily, which is so appalling I felt confident no one would read it. How wrong I was. And even though I was ok in my family and myself the painful embarrassment I felt was excrutiating. In retrospect, had I known, I would have gone to Exeter/Truro, to declare BR as the local paper would not have reached the people I lived near. We have left the area now, as to be honest I wanted a life for my children without the tainted slur.
    :starmod: I am not that savage :heartpuls But I am a Vixen :staradmin
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    To be honest a lot of people dont read them, in our local paper there at the back by the car sales.

its a long shot but if you just explain that because of your work situation it would cause difficuluties, re meeting clients it might work.

As I say if you dont ask you dont get!
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family