Hargreaves & Lansdown SIPP for newbie

Options
davieg11
davieg11 Posts: 278 Forumite
I have looked at Hargreaves & Lansdown SIPP and they have ' most popular funds in November ', which all look good. Instead of a novice like me having a wild guess, what is the best fund to invest in for the next 20 years?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    davieg11 wrote: »
    I have looked at Hargreaves & Lansdown SIPP and they have ' most popular funds in November ', which all look good. Instead of a novice like me having a wild guess, what is the best fund to invest in for the next 20 years?

HL are famous for their marketing. NEVER treat their marketing of certain funds as advice or what is best for you. It is what is best for them and their commercial arrangements.

Novice buying without advice would normally mean that multi-asset funds would be most suitable. Which one would depend on a range of things..... knowledge and understanding of investments and risk, behaviour to losses, capacity for loss and a dose of opinion.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • davieg11
    Options
    Can anyone give me a link to a low cost medium risk multi-asset fund so I can see what I'm looking for. In H&L there is so much to choose from that I don't know what I'm looking for and don't know what the risk factor is.
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can anyone give me a link to a low cost medium risk multi-asset fund so I can see what I'm looking for. In H&L there is so much to choose from that I don't know what I'm looking for and don't know what the risk factor is.

You could look at Vanguard LifeStrateg80 or even 60 pr 40 depending on your risk profile but medium risk would be 60 or 40. There is also L&G Multi Index 5 and also Blackrock Consensus funds to consider.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

So, are you sure than an advanced investor option like the SIPP is most suitable for you? Would a personal pension or stakeholder pension be more appropriate?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Well, everyone would like to know that ! Ask again in 20 years.

The suggestions in post by MPN are good mid range options, I've got some of those and have been in the main high risk but have been dialling it back recently to funds like these including VLS80. You could go 60 or 40 (or 20 if you are a wuss :D) , the higher the number the higher the risk, but over 20 years I wouldn't play it too safe.
  • davieg11
    Options
    Thanks for replys. So is VLS60 the Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% Equity fund?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    HL are famous for their marketing. NEVER treat their marketing of certain funds as advice or what is best for you. It is what is best for them and their commercial arrangements.
    People keep saying that but in general I've found the funds they recommend/market heavily are good funds if you want active management rather than passive.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    So, are you sure than an advanced investor option like the SIPP is most suitable for you? Would a personal pension or stakeholder pension be more appropriate?
    OP - some examples: https://www.cavendishonline.co.uk/pensions/stakeholder-and-personal-pensions/
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for replys. So is VLS60 the Vanguard LifeStrategy 60% Equity fund?

Correct. I think it's just the shorthand used here, I don't think you'll find it's actually used anywhere else.
  • Fermion
    Fermion Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its over 20 years I would consider a balanced spread of investments:
    Troy Trojan Income
    CF Woodford Equity Income
    Marborough Multi-Cap Income
    Newton Global Income

Make sure you go for the lowest cost options for each of the above where HL have negotiated a discount with the Investment Company - also go for the Income fund option (with income reinvested) rather than Accumulation fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure