On-grid domestic battery storage

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
2.2K replies 206.7K views

Replies

• CoastalwatchCoastalwatch Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We've often heard about using second life vehicle batteries for storage so good to learn news of it actually happening for real. Not a huge capacity given todays more usual MWh figures quoted, but you've got to start somewhere!

Second life batteries find new home at Suffolk University

Connected Energy is to install the first of its new generation of second life energy storage systems as part of a Suffolk County Council project.

The 300kW/360kWh E-STOR storage system will be installed at a flagship heritage facility – dubbed The Hold - due to open later in 2020 on the University of Suffolk’s Ipswich Campus.

Justine Oakes, the University of Suffolk sustainability manager and research and business lead for the Suffolk Sustainability Institute, said this partnership will support "pragmatic academic study in smart tech renewables" and create a "deeper understanding of the role innovative technologies have to play in addressing the energy transition pathway to zero carbon through energy storage infrastructure".

East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    688 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Is there yet a device that can detect when there is spare solar electricity which can be diverted to an immersion heater or similar but which can cope with a battery?  Typically if I boil a kettle with the help of the battery then when the kettle switches off the battery does not immediately shut-off its output but ramps down by temporarily exporting power to the grid.  If this is detected as spare solar power then I end up draining the battery to run the immersion heater.  The last time I was reading about this issue here, which was last year, it seemed the iBoost could not cope.  The SOLiC 200 might possibly do better if you monitor the solar panel output, I suppose.  Has anyone tried this?  Is there another solution?  
    Reed
  • crommcromm Forumite
    5 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    I'm about to fit a solaredge unit...I'll try to report back.

• edited 29 July 2020 at 6:03PM
    mickyduck55mickyduck55 Forumite
    265 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 29 July 2020 at 6:03PM
    Is there yet a device that can detect when there is spare solar electricity which can be diverted to an immersion heater or similar but which can cope with a battery?  Typically if I boil a kettle with the help of the battery then when the kettle switches off the battery does not immediately shut-off its output but ramps down by temporarily exporting power to the grid.  If this is detected as spare solar power then I end up draining the battery to run the immersion heater.  The last time I was reading about this issue here, which was last year, it seemed the iBoost could not cope.  The SOLiC 200 might possibly do better if you monitor the solar panel output, I suppose.  Has anyone tried this?  Is there another solution?  

I have a Solic and it seems to behave better than your scenario described but its not perfect.  When its consistently sunny I am happy to let it try to manage but I will be turning it off in the winter.  I think the only way this would work is if you could set an export threshold over time so "OK been exporting 200W for 5 mins send it to the Immersion" you cannot with the solic it sends any spare power and does get tricked by the short export Blip.
    I think the problem is you have two sensors clipped on the wire near your meter neither of which reacts fast enough to really work.
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 2000... no problems since
    13 Feb 2020 LUX AC 3600 and 3 X Pylon Tech 3.5 kW batteries added...
  • Reed_RichardsReed_Richards Forumite
    688 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks cromm and mickyduck55.  I thought the Solic might work if operated in the mode where the sensor is connected to the solar panel output but the effect would be to give priority to the immersion heater over charging the battery and I would rather it was the other way around (because the economics are better that way).
    Reed
  • SolarchaserSolarchaser Forumite
    726 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I was intending to set my solic up to only work when it seen a Consistent 200w export. 
    It seemed to a mode within the instructions, but i haven't got a hot water tank yet 
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf and Lux 3600 with 17kwh useable storage
  • mickyduck55mickyduck55 Forumite
    265 posts
    ✭✭
    I was intending to set my solic up to only work when it seen a Consistent 200w export. 
    It seemed to a mode within the instructions, but i haven't got a hot water tank yet 

Let me know how you get on ...
    3.995kWP SSW facing. Commissioned 7 July 2011. 24 degree pitch + Solar Immersion installed May 2013, after two Solar Immersion lasting just over the guarantee period replaced with Solic 2000... no problems since
  • edited 4 August 2020 at 9:06AM
    Pile_o_stonePile_o_stone Forumite
    165 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 August 2020 at 9:06AM
    From reading this thread and battery threads on other forums, it almost seems that people need to have a degree in Electrical Engineering when they have a battery installed. I was therefore wondering if it's the case that batteries are as 'fit and forget' as solar panels but that, as the forums are frequented by people who are hobbyists, they like to tinker with the tech. Or is it the case that this is a new technology and a lot of refining and technical knowledge is required to get them to work?

I basically love my solar panels because they just work, day in and day out and I rarely think about them (my inverters are wifi connected for monitoring, but I never bother to look at the data anymore). I'm slowly coming around to the idea of having a battery installed and I just want it to also 'just work'. Is that a realistic proposition?

Or are there certain batteries that are fit and forget and others that aren't?
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't 'tinkered' with my install at all.  But it's simpler in that I don't have solar diverters or anything else that might confuse the system.  It's a Solax system with a small Solax/LG battery.
    I check how it's doing daily, as the inverter is internet-enabled, but that's about it.
    The in-home displays that come with smart meters were supposed to help people to save energy.  But I find knowing that I have one battery full of free electricity is very good at making me think about how much electricity I use in the evenings.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • mickyduck55mickyduck55 Forumite
    265 posts
    ✭✭
    Changed a few configuration settings when system was fitted in Feb then left untouched.  I do check the state of charge rather like checking the sun is shining before I put the oven on to bake.. I am really pleased with my system.  I think they make you even more energy aware than solar on its own. With solar they are either generating or not with the battery and solar it is easier to mange usage.  My large use in winter will be my TV.. 50" Plasma... 0.6 kWh but probably going to replace it and use it in front of my cycle trainer upstairs as I dont spend more than an hour on that !!!!