🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

surrender endowment policy or take out loan?

Options
Any advise would be gratefully received!

I am looking to have a new kitchen fitted and need about £10,000.

I could take out a loan over 5 years OR I could surrender my endowment policy OR I could take out the additional sum on top of my mortgage BUT i'm confused as to what to do for the best.

A loan would cost me about £1,800 interest over 5 years which I would much rather avoid!

My endowment policy is for £18,000 and due to end in July 2011. The current surrender value is £10,560 and the minimum it will pay at maturity is £11,072. I pay just £23.68 per month for this.

Standard life is going to pass on my details to APMM to see what they would pay on the second hand market for the policy so I am awaiting thier reply.

I would hate to miss out on any profits from this policy though, if I get rid of it too early.

This policy is still linked to my mortgage so I do only pay the interest only element on this amount. I still have to change to a full repayment mortgage to make up the short fall. It's been too tempting until now to just pay the interest to help keep the mortgage payments down. I also have £40,000 on a repayment mortgage.

I would really appreciate any suggestions from anyone with advise what to do for the best.

Many thanks, Narla :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family