Help, can Financial Advisor sign us to product without our permission?

Our mortgage term ended some time ago but because of health issues which led to financial issues through not earning we were in arrears for a while so held off until things were slightly better to look at renewing. We asked a F.A, to come to house to discuss a financial review of mortgage, pension, life cover etc., He was full of positive comments, which was great news to us, from what he said we'd save a good amount a month and a massive amount over a year. Better still he advised us he could change our mortgage product without the need for a credit check (which would have came back as a massive no), We asked how much to arrange and he said nothing, after chasing him by email, voice mail and text completely out the blue a letter arrived from mortgage company thanking us for signing up for mortgage with the new rate, so instead of saving £££,s it was £,s nothing near what he suggested we would save. But more importantly how can we be fixed into a mortgage for two years without even knowing the rate or agreeing to it. Can we do anything about it? There are other issues too but I have not gone into. We now have a bill for fees which we didnt agree to. Any advice out there gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    37.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Complaint to firm providing the advice would appear first step.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet wrote: »
    Complaint to firm providing the advice would appear first step.

Thank you, another problem is he gave us a business card with one company name on and sent an invoice in showing another company name. I'm temped to write to the head office of the main company listing complaints against their employee and cc the FSA in same letter? So confused because its not just the mortgage, there's another 3 issues. I'm actually feeling sick with the thought of it all.
  • ACGACG Forumite
    22.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    On your mortgage offer, towards the back it should have who to complain to.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    112K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you, another problem is he gave us a business card with one company name on and sent an invoice in showing another company name.

That is normal if he is linked to a network.
    I'm temped to write to the head office of the main company listing complaints against their employee and cc the FSA in same letter?

The food standards agency wont be interested. If you meant the FCA, then they wont be interested either. It is not their remit. They would just forward your complaint on, therefore duplicating your complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals