MyCSP and Pension Allocation Query

I am supporting a friend in relation to their pension planning and a query came up in context of their civil service deferred benefits. The MyCSP scheme details that an allocation could be made to pay a proportion or all of their pension for life to a nominated person e.g. A wife of son / daughter, so long as it is down in advance of drawing their benefits.

The question relates to the implication re their LTA calculation should they do this? Does the LTA still get applied to them, or does it effectively transfer to their spouse if that were the transfer nomination arrangement?

Many thanks

Comments

• hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Allocation isn't an area I am 100% familiar with, so I am happy to be told I am wrong, but the following is my understanding...
    The MyCSP scheme details that an allocation could be made to pay a proportion or all of their pension for life to a nominated person e.g. A wife of son / daughter, so long as it is down in advance of drawing their benefits.

More specifically, allocation enables an individual to reduce their pension entitlement by a sum chosen by the member in order to enhance the survivor benefits payable to their spouse or dependent in the event the member pre-deceases the other person(s).
    The question relates to the implication re their LTA calculation should they do this? Does the LTA still get applied to them, or does it effectively transfer to their spouse if that were the transfer nomination arrangement?

LTA usage is based on the amount of pension put into payment, so choosing to allocate will reduce LTA usage. Survivor pensions do not count toward either the member or the survivor's LTA.
  • fcandmp
    fcandmp Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks hugheskevi I guessed the implication might be that but cannot find any documentation to confirm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure