Southern Sim Cards...

Options
Just wondering if any of you had any advice on what would be the best sim card to get for the south... I kinda got engaged to someone down there, so have been spending increasing amounts of time there and am probably going to end up moving down at some point anyway. :rolleyes:

I'd be looking for a pay as you go one that's good for texts (as that tends to be what I'd use it for mostly) and that you can get away without topping up for a few months, if you know what I mean...

Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Comments

• sleepymy
    sleepymy Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    I use a southern O2 sim, it says you need to top up every 90 days (I think) but I top it up about once a year and it seems to stay active.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • dsab
    dsab Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can recommend O2. Especially as they offer 250 Free Web SMS to anywhere in the world. The SMS will show your Phone number as the sender on the receipants Mobile and they can respond straight to your mobile.

https://www.o2online.ie
  • dmxdave
    dmxdave Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I kinda got engaged to someone

How do you kinda get engaged? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: It's like kinda buying a house.

Anyway Kinda congrats :beer:
    Dave
  • lowdenclear
    Options
    dmxdave wrote: »
    How do you kinda get engaged? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: It's like kinda buying a house.

Anyway Kinda congrats :beer:

:rotfl::o Cheers!
  • Robothell
    Options
    If you are still travelling between the north and the south, it might be better to get a 3 SIM card.....as far as I know you can use your 3 phone on any of its sister networks in the EU without incurring charges. You definitely can make calls and send texts and it will just come out of your allowance, dunno if it applies to texts or calls received while roaming (unfortuately my work computer doesn't allow me to check their site - 3 PAYG site).
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • MarkLS12
    Options
    With 3UK you can roam "like home" only if you get a signal from 3Ireland.
    If you roam onto any other operator, with a UK 3 SIM you DO have to pay roaming charges.
    3Ireland use the "Vodafone Ireland" network in ROI as a backup where there is no "3" signal. They do not have very good coverage on their own.

Also if you want to receive calls from ROI it will be cheaper for people to call you if you have an Irish SIM.

I have a Meteor SIM as I frequently visit Waterford..

With Meteor, there are no roaming charges to receive calls while roaming on the T-Mobile (though you MUST select T-Mobile, they also have a roaming deal with Orange which will charge you).

With Meteor you get 300 free web texts to any Irish mobile each month.
    http://www.meteor.ie/payg_roaming_tables111-120.html?selectBill=1&country=120&camel=1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure