Pension early exit fees to be capped at 1%, regulator confirms

Options
The amount charged for early withdrawals or transfers from pension pots will be capped at 1% from 31 March 2017, while new pension contracts taken out after this date will face no early exit charge at all....
Read the full story:
'Pension early exit fees to be capped at 1%, regulator confirms'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone know if this applies to MVRs. I have a 28% MVR with Phoenix life and would like to transfer to my SIPP (I'm aged 48).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,635 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Anyone know if this applies to MVRs. I have a 28% MVR with Phoenix life and would like to transfer to my SIPP (I'm aged 48).

No. An MVR is at fund level and not included. Also, at aged 48, you would not be captured under this rule change either.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Ok but first sentence in the article says "...or transfers from pension pots".
    Why would I not be included?
    Have I misunderstood what is meant by transfer?
  • dunstonh
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Ok but first sentence in the article says "...or transfers from pension pots".
    Why would I not be included?
    Have I misunderstood what is meant by transfer?

I just took a look at the article and MSE have not given the full information. The rules are 1% from age 55 (or earlier if there is as protected scheme age). So, if aged 54 or under, you do not qualify until 55 to get this cap.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    I've been googling and it's either scant articles or in-depth consultation papers.

Ok, but can transfer to my SIPP at 55 then? (Pretty sure I won't be retiring at 55).
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Ok, but can transfer to my SIPP at 55 then? (Pretty sure I won't be retiring at 55).

yes. They will cap the pension charge to 1% at that point (assuming they havent withdrawn the charge altogether as many providers have). However, MVR is exempt. That will drop to zero by scheme retirement age if it has not recovered earlier.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Thanks, retirement age for the Phoenix scheme is 65 :-( but it's not a large part of my overall pot.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is this one of those pensions with a 4% guaranteed growth rate, out of interest?

They often have very high MVRs because although Phoenix have to quote you a fund value which increases by 4% each year, the underlying With Profits fund has not actually performed anything like that well.
  • lisyloo
    edited 16 November 2016 at 4:27PM
    Options
    I am not aware of any guaranteed growth rate and I would have expected my advisor to have mentioned it recently when we discussed transfers but it's not impossible. I contributed between 1994 and 1997.
    The MVR is actually 40% of the with-profits fund.
    The 28% mentioned earlier was the penalty for transferring the total, which includes an early (pre-65) exit charge and MVR of 40% on the with-profits (46% of my holding).

I have not complained (although it does seem very harsh) but obviously I'd prefer to move it from Phoenix who charge 2.1% to my SIPP where I get good advice and active management for a much lower fee if I could, but I am not going to do so considering the penalty - yes I realise the ongoing 2% and poor performance is somewhat punitive - rock/hard place springs to mind.
    It's not a large amount in the whole scheme of my pensions (about 7%).

I don't have high hopes that they would suddenly remove the MVR as they probably have some reason (good or otherwise) for it, but I will ask my advisor to review in the future. I'm pretty well organised about that.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Worth keeping an eye on, as MVR's do seem to go up & down over time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure