3rd Time Lucky?!- Attempting to clear £6645.93 of debt in 105days (3months+13days)!!

Options

Comments

• Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shelbi!

I've been AWOL for a few days but have been reading your thread. Well done on the not smoking AND on dropping a brand on the wipes and dishwasher tabs and honey! If you really really hate a no-brand swap you can always go back, but at least you will have tried a cheaper option and will be making a conscious decision about it. So much of what we do is just what we've always done without thinking. Think of yourself as being a curious consumer rather than a complacent one. What are you going to tackle next?

Glad you enjoyed the wedding, too, and your spends didn't seem too bad. How are things going on the Uber and takeaway front?

You sound much calmer and more focussed in your recent posts and in less of a panic. I hope that is the case and that you are feeling a bit clearer about where you need to cut down and how to do it. Let us know how you are when you can. xx
  • DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 October 2017 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Hi Shelbi, just read your diary and wanted to drop by and say hello :wave::wave:

I think the advice you’ve had on here is spot on - a realistic budget that accounts for everything plus some small treats now and again is vital. Late last year, you did well clearing debt but it seems you cut back too much too soon and left yourself with little to live off. The big blow out in mid ‘17 wasn’t a huge surprise to me, I have to say.

I use YNAB for budgeting and I really like it. I also keep my motivation (which keeps my discipline in check) by watching Dave Ramsey zoutube videos. But, more importantly, I have a goal - I want to halve my debt before Jan 1st as we’re going to move house and get a bigger mortgage and I want to maximise my chances of getting a good lending rate and borrowing amount. Furthermore, I want to be debt free by July 1st 2018. Have a think about what your short, medium and long terms goals are and then devise some targets to help you get there.

Good luck this time over, we’re all routing for you. Subscribed and will follow with interest.

DSL :j
  • Shelbi
    Shelbi Posts: 744 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Mapie & DSL :hello::hello::hello:

Thank you for popping by!!:D Still here , got up late so am running behind on everything... check in included lol!

We have friends over tonight so had a quick look in cupboard/fridge settled on meatballs and pasta- not extravegant but yummy! Put OH to work on that..I offered to help he shooed me out of the kitchen (winning). Chores done.

Magpie100, Thank you I'm feeling much less anxious, I'm not losing sleep now but i wont feel 100% secure until I dont owe anyone anything...Though it'll take time I know so im learning to deal and try and & crack on. Im liking the nofrills swaps- everything is pretty much the same just cheaper and ill be honest I'm not really in the position to be buying the expensive stuff..saying that Its just the outer packaging thats different so far (cleaning wise does the same job)- thanks for that!!..Curious consumer I like that!! Next change- well shopping markets when this food runs out will be taking to A!d1/lid1..:) Hope your well lovely appreciate the drop by:beer:

Ubers been easy as I havent really been anywhere/ out too late- takeaways have been harder- OH mentioned we havent had take out in 2 weeks..bless him, reminded him were saving money and ate out last week...Maybe il attempt a homemade pizza for him...be just like takeaway...or pop to 1ceLand i here they have pizza3pre55 range...next week end his sufferings :rotfl:

DSL- Hi hun, thank you for stopping by too- your right i definitely need some small treats, I don't want to have another blow out until I can pay for it in cash :rotfl: (When I'm debt free:D)

I took a had a quick peek at your diary and subscribed too (will have a proper read through in a bit)..we've similar pay & debt levels- I look forward to cheering you on from the sidelines on your debt slaying!! :beer:
    Will have a thought towards longterm goals, short term is is to pay off my loan by 29th December 17 and cc by 30th April 18 (end of 0% period) that's about as far as I've got :)

Managed to buy my 2 birthday presents yesterday and also needed antivirus for laptop (Forgot about it so comes out of my clothing budget i guess):(

Budget as it stands:
    Grocery budget- [STRIKE]£65.38[/STRIKE]/ £62
    Going out- [STRIKE]£50[/STRIKE]/£20
    Occasions (gifts) -[STRIKE]£30[/STRIKE]/£11.32
    Wedding gift -[STRIKE]£50[/STRIKE]/£0
    Beauty- [STRIKE]£10[/STRIKE]/£5
    Clothes- [STRIKE]£40[/STRIKE]/£18.05
    Petrol- £20

Sent £7.16 to the loan repay account...& still not smoking so am saving loads there...

Only 19 days to payday....counting them...happy Saturday guys!

Sx
    DFD-01.03.2018:starmod: :beer::T
    Maternity Savings- £2000/£10,000
    Emergency Fund- £1,000/£5,000
    House Deposit- £0/£25,000.
    NSD November 2/30
    Make £5 per day- £128.48/£155
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Just read some of your diary and amazed at your progress...leaps and bounds! Really admire your enthusiasm and determination and looks like your mind set is changing which I'm sure is something we are all working on or have had to work on in the past. Best of luck with your continued journey! :T
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    You sound like you've totally changed your mind set.

Remember you didn't get in debt overnight and unfortunately we can't get out of debt overnight. It takes work, hard work.

Can you try and find free or much cheaper things to do to have some 'me time' or fun?

Do you have free museums/country parks etc in the area? I love to walk around the local country park with a flask and get some breathing time. Along with the local library/museum they always have something going on thats free. Also sewing/knitting or similar? At least if you try to replace some of the expensive fun stuff you don't feel like you're doing nothing but work and trying to clear the debt.

Well done on the no smoking and sticking to your budget. I think making a realistic budget and being able to stick to it is definitely the hardest bit. Once you've got in to the change of downshifting things and sticking to it you won't want to go back to overspending on the things that don't matter ie. the cleaning products.

As for food shopping, meal plan. Write a list and stick to it. You'll probably find popping in here and there you will still be picking things up you don't really need just because you've seen it/on offer. If you run out of something challenge yourself to try and do something different, want something sweet bake some easy biscuits/cakes/flapjacks.

Sorry I know this is an essay I'll stop now :o You've made amazing progress. Be proud x
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Shelbi,

Just read your diary today and it felt like reading my own as it's so similar to me. I go guns blazing at the debt and then get distracted by something shiny :o and up the debt goes. Magpie10s note of needing discipline as well as motivation really struck a cord with me.

Will be subscribing and cheering from the sidelines:D
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Hidden Identity, Happierdays & Munchin :hello::wave::wave:

So lovely to hear from you all…really made my Monday!!:D

I feel like my mind-set has changed I just need to dig in and keep it...I’m definitely a work in progress lol! It may take me a while but I’m getting there this time- trying to keep checking in and writing honestly so that way I’m held accountable…it’s a massive help Thank you guys!!
    Will certainly have a look at things I can do for free- Museum and Park picnic sound great…definitely need to look into this as unrealistic that I will spend the next year staying in every weekend to save money…though I am quite partial to movie nights during winter ;-) …right now I’m taking advantage of curling up with a few free good books..

The food plan is a fantastic idea! I haven’t tackled it yet, we do need a restock soon though in the next couple of days or so a meal plan is going to be a priority! Something to work on tonight!! I love the idea of making treats- I don’t really cook so will be a good use of my time and practice a skill- cakes and things would be great fun…and will save us buying biscuits- that’s assuming they come out edible J

Thank you so much for your help, support and tips Lovelies, they really help keep me focused! Thank you! X :grouphug::beer:

Yesterday- Was a NSD... OH and I went to visit my family for Sunday dinner, it was lovely to see them all- I managed to pick up an old TV aerial of mine which should make the tv in the bedroom back into action, haven’t tried it yet but I’m hopeful

Lunch was leftovers- dinner was provided by my ma, we got home and watched Lord of the rings, OH got a bottle of wine, popcorn and chocolate bless him. Was a lovey weekend.

Still managing to not smoke- Received £110- IOU payback which was a lovely surprise!! Have sent £80 to the loan offset account… the other £30 that will start my Xmas fund along with the £50 cc refund due. :D

Brought in lunch but sfd was thwarted - earphones died arrrgh! I can put up with many things but no music, podcasts or general public blockers I cannot lol! So I spent £3 on a new set. I know what my treat will be when I pay off these loans- Decent earphones lol have prob spent the same on cheapy ones (£10 here £5 there) over my life time that I may as well have brought a decent pair. May 2019 treats pending, till then I’ll make do with wine and chocolate and £3 sets :rotfl:

I made a rooky mistake- used up all my data-when at home forgot to turn the Wi-Fi back on-grrr! Usually I would buy a boost but no more that £19.99 boost can stay nicely in my account thank you very much. Am refusing to buy anymore- It doesn’t reset until 27th - Sad times indeed.

The small wins- New oyster came (hopefully a small refund will follow), Refund on Credit card– email to say it’s on its way takes between 7-10 days but will be here soon! Woohoo! Can’t wait for that!

I need to give Xmas some serious thought…I’ve just done a mental count up and I got to 30 presents to get…needless to say it will be cheap and cheerful lol!:o

Ok I best start my trek home- will check in when I get back no doubt…Have a wonderful evening guys x
    NSD November 2/30
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    As for the meal plan (if you're anything like me :p) I don't stick to what I plan on a set day. I decide on however many meals I need between my shopping dates and write down enough meals. That way if I have an unplanned day out etc or late night home or I just can't be bothered I can have one of the easier things, but at least I know its there I don't need to pop to a shop. Again snacks I make cookie mix and biscuit mix and freeze in balls. Then I can bake just as many as I need - take out from frozen pop on a tray into the oven for 12ish mins and done fresh biscuits/cookies :D I also make homemade ready meals, so instead of thinking oh I'll make our portions a bit bigger with the bit that would be left, I freeze it. Then I have lots of homemade ready meals too.

Do you survey? Maybe find a site you like I use a few and save the 'earnings' for treats. Good headphones/books etc? That way you're getting the nice things just not using any cash ;)
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :wave:Hi Hidden,

Thank you for the great advice... I really need to do that, Im ashamed to say OH called me to let me know dinner was bust (neither of us took the chicken out of the freezer- I took the last of the fish to work) so I went and grabbed a dine in for 2 from M&S :o
    Just wanted something I could chuck in the oven and im banned from the chippy (october challenge) Aside from the 2 bottles of wine:blushing: it was exactlt the greatest use of my resources:o (got two- 1 pie wont feed OH, he likes his food bless him) so thats £20 off the food budget thanks to my poor planning. So believe me when I say your post was perfectly timed! Im so doing that! Cookie/biscuit mix sounds awesome...Can I ask do you make up your own or do you buy cookie mix packets? - prob a silly question- sorry very new to this element of Money saving...really want to try it though!:D

I have started swagbucks but that's as far as I've got so far...Love the idea of saving for treats! I havent thought of that...definitely motivated to sign up to more surveys now.....Thank you!!:D x

Tv aerial worked treat OH is comfortably watching some documentary in the south wing of our rabbit hutch and I get to blissfully watch my 'trash'-as he calls it in peace:rotfl: x
    NSD November 2/30
  • Shelbi
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    almost forgot budget as it stands:-

Budget as it stands: