Unable to gift PS4 game download or get refund

I read a game review and followed link to Playstation website to purchase. This is a PS4 VR game intended as a gift for my son at Christmas. I thought I was buying a hard disc version but receipt makes it clear it's a download and quotes "At the time of making your purchase, you asked us to provide you with immediate access to your purchase and confirmed your understanding that this means:

(i) for digital content (like a game or add-on) you will not have a “cooling off period” during which you can cancel your purchase; "

Well this would actually be fine except I now find I cannot gift a download game as it's forever linked to the account which purchased it. I made this purchase on my phone and was not aware of these terms and I didn't knowingly ask for anything so that must be a default box tick that I didn't notice. The advice on PS community forum is to beg customer services for a refund but they are within their rights to refuse. This just seems all wrong to me.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    joolslee wrote: »
    I read a game review and followed link to Playstation website to purchase. This is a PS4 VR game intended as a gift for my son at Christmas. I thought I was buying a hard disc version but receipt makes it clear it's a download and quotes "At the time of making your purchase, you asked us to provide you with immediate access to your purchase and confirmed your understanding that this means:

(i) for digital content (like a game or add-on) you will not have a “cooling off period” during which you can cancel your purchase; "

Well this would actually be fine except I now find I cannot gift a download game as it's forever linked to the account which purchased it. I made this purchase on my phone and was not aware of these terms and I didn't knowingly ask for anything so that must be a default box tick that I didn't notice. The advice on PS community forum is to beg customer services for a refund but they are within their rights to refuse. This just seems all wrong to me.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

I believe you can gameshare on the PS4, you will have to google for instructions. Oh its a VR game, maybe you wont be able to gift it but why not look for instructions how to gift and see what can be done.

Not sure why you thought you were buying a physical copy, its the digital psn store so its digital games.
  • Thank you for taking time to reply DCFC79. According to PSN community forum I won't be able to gift it so I will call their customer services tomorrow and hope to get a refund or credit. Because I was browsing on my phone and followed a link to PSN it just didn't click that I would be buying a download. In any case I would have assumed I could buy as a gift and transfer to the recipient, but apparently not. In my defence I am 60 plus years old and not quite up to speed in these matters. :o
  • Do you use a Playstation yourself, and have anything on there you wouldn't want your son accessing? Because the other work around is to log into your account from his PS4, and let him play the game from there. Bit of an awkward way to gift something to someone - name and password in an envelope! - but if they won't refund it will be a way of making sure he can play the game even if the trophies for it won't show on his account.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • Thank you for responding NKKingston. I do have a PS3. I called their customer services and although they won't refund, they were quite helpful. They offered to credit my account but as I'm unlikely to buy anything for myself that wasn't a good solution. They then suggested I make my son's PS4 the primary account so he can access all my downloads including the new game. They said it shouldn't cause any issues as I don't have that model myself. It's not ideal but it's the best way around the problem. Big lesson learned though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum