Single 20 something mum - time to kick myself up the bum!

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HNY! Agreed that it's bleurgh to be back at work - the office here is freezing too as the heating has been turned right down over the break - reckon it might just warm up in time to go home again! :rotfl:

As your Daughter is still so little can you search local Charity shops for clothing to keep the cost down? I seem to recall others with little ones saying that eBay can be good too - big bundles of stuff available for not too much, and you can always sell on anything that doesn't fit?

On the car - if you think it might be the Head Gasket then you REALLY need to either not drive it or get it checked ASAP - if that goes it can write off the engine in a second. :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news there but thought it better that you knew.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • timetobefrugal
    Options
    Hoorah it's Friday!

Thanks essexhebridean - I've made it one of my new years resolution to scour charity shops although I had to buy her new pants and socks so not sure I would have found many unopened packs of them there....I purchased bundles on ebay before with not much success, things have been stained etc.

With regards to the car it's a double edged sword really. I've spent £450 on it recently as a gear cable snapped and it had to have some bits done to get through its mot, I'm sorting chucking money at the wind if I spend another £400+ on keeping it (it's an 04 punto - say no more)! Plus I have £300 in my savings account that's supposed to be paying towards my cousins wedding. I really can't afford for that to go on something else and have to start saving from scratch. It's starting to stress me out because I need a car for work (my journey would be 1 and a half hours on public transport not including dropping my daughter at nursery).

My mum and step dad have offered to loan me money for a new car if it breaks but that will just be another debt! Just a massive headache for me at the minute!

Anyway, today was going to be a NSD but I picked up some teabags and toilet roll for £5.55 today and need to get some petrol on my way home. Tomorrow me and my daughter have tickets to watch alive in wonderland at the theatre, bar parking and maybe an ice cream I don't plan on spending any money tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
    Debt Total October 2017 £20,511.27 :eek::eek:
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Might their loan be a good thing though if it is low cost?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • timetobefrugal
    Options
    To be fair it would probably be my only option Bobarella, they just help me so much that I feel guilty for it! I'm going to get my mechanic to come and have a look when he's free, then if he confirms it is the head gasket and the likely cost I know where I stand.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, just a quick one. If it's a hose, then get it sorted won't cost much. The water pump will be more. But if it's a hose leaking then that's wear and tear, the sooner it's sorted the better. Hopefully it's a hose, had that ourselves.

Remember to top up coolant.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    To be fair it would probably be my only option Bobarella, they just help me so much that I feel guilty for it! I'm going to get my mechanic to come and have a look when he's free, then if he confirms it is the head gasket and the likely cost I know where I stand.

Well. From a parents point of view I know I'd rather help my DD or DS than see them struggle. I'm sure your parents are only doing the same. Don't feel bad. It's not like you are taking the Michael if your car has broken down.

• timetobefrugal
    timetobefrugal Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2017 at 9:26AM
    Options
    Thanks guys, he's coming to have a look next week so fingers crossed it's not bad news! On the parent front I completely agree, I'd do anything to help my daughter out! I think I struggle with being so hard on myself for getting in this mess, looking at what I repay on debt each month I could easily save for a car, but such is life.

On a more positive note my halifax CC have given me a 0% balance transfer deal for 25 months and just increased my limit. So I'm going to transfer the balance from CC3 (as interest is about to hit hiiiiigh) and CC 1 as that'll allow me to close 2 accounts :T:T also means I'll only have 1 CC I'm paying interest on!

Took my daughter to the theatre yesterday (tickets were a Christmas present) and then treated her to some food which along with parking cost £23 for our day out. Was worth it as we had a lovely day! That's come out of my £67.42 spare money which leaves me with £44.42 left for my mum's birthday bits - think that's doable!

Hope everyone has had a good weekend, I'm popping into town to spend the last bit of my Christmas money on a treat to myself (ear piercing). Have a few items on eBay ending tomorrow so hopefully should make around £15 to throw at CC6 which got damaged by Christmas (not sure I'm mentally prepared to update my signature yet)

Although I'm even less mentally prepared for the working week :(:(
  • timetobefrugal
    Options
    It's payday!! Hurrrrah!

Have done 2 debt shuffles this week and moved the balance from 2 CCs as CC 6 gave me 0% on balance transfers for 23 months! So feels nice to only have 4 CC balances now! Also closed both accounts where in the past I would have left them open for 'emergencies'. Although this does mean I have no 'get me out of jail' free card if anything goes wrong ie my washing machine breaks but I am working on my savings for that.

Budget for this month is done and after everything that goes out there should be £183 surplus. It is my step-gran and sister's birthday this month although sister's presents are already done but I'm taking her out for lunch and cocktails on her birthday so will budget £40 for that and £15 for the step-grans pressie. Also having my hair cut and roots done as they are well overdue (I dye my roots myself every other time to cut down costs) so have budgeted £40 for that although it'll probably be cheaper. So that'll leave me with £85 to put towards savings/debt.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Happy payday! Always a nice feeling :)

• timetobefrugal
    Options
    Well had a lovely birthday weekend and gained £100 to treat myself :) along with other lovely pressies! Took my daughter to pick a bike yesterday (treat from Grandparents) but also treated her to a basket and a bell and food out so spent around £25 but today has been a NSD.

Forgotten I have a theatre show on Friday (tickets were a gift) but means I will probably have to buy a few drinks (there are a few of us going but hopefully shouldn't cost more than £20 for a round - I hope) so won't have as much to put aside for savings/debt this month but guess you have to live a little :)

Set my goal this year to get my debt down to at least £12,000 - will be hard as my budget is pretty tight this year due to saving for my friend's wedding abroad in September but I'm going to give it my best shot!!! I'd love to say I have paid off over 25% in 12 months :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport