Jeweller (Main Highstreet) Lost Engagment ring 2 days before our wedding -help/advice

Options
Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on how to proceed with a dispute with a Large Uk Jewelery Retailer.

We entrusted them to clean our early 1900's Engagment ring - valued at £1350 and gave it t them around 4 weeks prior to the wedding. The reason we used this retailer was that we had bought my wife's wedding band from them and so this seemed like the best decision at the time.

1 week befor our wedding (on the 28th of October 2016) the ring had still not been returned to store and two days before our wedding my wife was informed by the company that the ring had been 'Lost'. This was later changed to 'Misplaced' when I made further enquiries and to be honest at the time we were so caught up in final preparations for our big day that we decided to park the issue and hope that it would be found - it was sent off to a Regional Service Centre in Birmingham which even on the day of our wedding was being 'turned upside down".

So our wedding day arrived and and even though this went ahead without our Engagment ring which was in itself quite upsetting we resounded to have a good time - our day was somewhat different in that a family member was taken quite ill during the middle of our wedding breakfast and this caused a lot of distress at the time as they had to be taken to hospital but I am happy to say have since recovered well.

Earlier this week I engaged with the company to start off discussions about compensation and after a few emails and telephone calls I suggested that the following were offered:

A full refund of the insured amount of our ring - £1350

A Full refund on the amount of our wedding band - £199 and that we keep the ring also as this now has sentimental value as it is my wife's 'actual' wedding ring.

An amount of compensation for the emotional distress and loss of such a sentimental item - the ring that I chose with my wife's sister, took to Morocco to propose with and has been with us from thee very start of our story together.

The company have agreed to everything but the amount offered for compensation for emotional distress is only a £100 gift voucher that can be spent at the store. I personally do not consider this to be in any way suitable and have verbally expressed this to the resolution manager I have been dealing with but was basically told that this is there only and final offer unless I approach them with a 'reasonable' request which they would happily consider.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice as to if this appears to be a fair offer first and foremost and secondly what would you think would be a reasonable amount to approach the company with as a request for further financial compensation?

I really appreciate any help offered.

Gav

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you saying youre getting £1350 and a ring worth £199 and £100 vouchers?

I think thats a pretty good offer. I get its wedding rings and its an important day but it doesnt sound like the ring was an heirloom or anything? You had a good day without the ring, do you really think you had more than £299 worth of disappointment?

Theyve put you in a better position (financially) than you where when you started with them. That seems reasonable to me. Its difficult to a put a price on feelings which is why its not normally done. You can always try and get more but theres no guarantees, they could easily just revert back to recompensing for the value of the lost ring.

Congratulations on the wedding btw!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Couldn't have summed up my own thoughts any better
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business