What's the worst wedding you've ever been to?

Options
Hi all,

We want to hear your wedding stories! We know a thread like this already went out (unfortunately it's now removed) but we'd like to hear your stories again, and any new ones that weren't originally posted.

Did the bridesmaid keep fainting? Did the wedding party have to do their own washing up?
Was the mother in law disapproving? Did the bride walk out? What is the worst wedding you've ever been to and why?

Looking forward to hearing your worst wedding stories.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• georget84
    georget84 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 November 2016 at 3:52PM
    Options
    I have nothing bad to say about doing a wedding on the cheap. But if you do, a bit of creativity doesn't go a miss to liven things up a bit. The worst wedding we went to was in a church hall - that had literally no decoration in any way shape or form, and still felt very church hall with the plastic stack-able chairs, trestle tables and musty smells.
    The food was Tesco value. I knew this because the sausage rolls I went to get for my wedding breakfast were still in the wrapping. Other offerings included Jacket Potatoes and Baby Bel Cheese's.

We finally got some decorations when our table found some party poppers, which were left over from a children's party the day before. The wine was in the £2 a bottle region and even the family alcoholic (yes, clinically approved) struggled with it. Would have been less offended if asked to bring my own. The brides dress was mail order from China and looked every inch of it. The photographers were old school, and not in a good way - hugely vintage cameras, terrible attitude. A DJ turned up after the 2 minutes of speeches (How they had the front to stand up and proclaim it was the happiest day of their lives, in a church hall eating 5p sausage rolls...) and proceeded to play Now 82 on repeat. One of our table recognised the track list, which we then googled, and correctly predicted the next song... all night. Having said that we didn't stay long, because it was a Sunday.

As mentioned, nothing wrong with budget stuff, but why not make an effort so the guests don't have to unwrap the food themselves. Save money on the DJ playing a pre-mixed compilation and put on that CD yourself, spend the savings on some decor to brighten the place up a bit - a flower here of there.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Why is this a sticky?

Surely a sticky should be for threads with important info attached - like what to do when a loved one dies?
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Why is this a sticky?

Surely a sticky should be for threads with important info attached - like what to do when a loved one dies?

Agreed. Wouldn't this be a sticky on the Weddings board, anyway, if anywhere?
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's already been a thread on this!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Worst wedding we have ever been to was held in the chapel of an old manor house with a string quartet playing.

Then stood about for hours while photos taken and then eventually back to an Indian restaurant.

Unfortunately, the food(a barbeque) had still not been served by 8.00pm and there was a massive queue.

As we had a two hour drive and had left the children with babysitters
    we had to leave. We had not eaten since breakfast at 9.00am.

We walked straight over to the fish and chip shop opposite and sat in the car to eat it before we made our way home.
  • fluffypinksoda
    Options
    We were invited to a wedding where the father of the bride is a banker and the bride & groom owned 4 homes and earn a 6 figure salary. We had to be there at 10 so left at 8 in the morning & did not eat all day. At 5pm we were served afternoon tea. They ran out of sandwiches & cake. I have a milk allergy & the caterers didn't know about me. We were in the middle of nowhere in a tent so couldn't go out and buy food. Everyone was starving, me especially. They served 1 glass of cheap prosecco. We got a coach from the venue to the hotel and we're told to pay £20 each as the father of the bride is a pensioner!! A taxi would have been cheaper. Awful wedding.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must be lucky, I've never been to a bad wedding. OH on the other hand has been to one in a cow shed which was freezing cold, the guests were all sat on bales of hay and snagging their tights and lovely clothes, then a tiny buffet was served which got gate crashed by uninvited people so not enough to go round by half. Fairly hellish and OH left early.

I hope ours is better than that. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • Former_MSE_Matt
    Options
    Agreed. Wouldn't this be a sticky on the Weddings board, anyway, if anywhere?

Hey there, we made this a sticky just to get more responses faster. We put it in Families board simply to widen the range of responses. We can move this thread over after we have a good handful of stories.
    Thanks!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    MSE_Matt wrote: »
    Hey there, we made this a sticky just to get more responses faster. We put it in Families board simply to widen the range of responses. We can move this thread over after we have a good handful of stories.
    Thanks!

The point is the subject matter doesn't deserve a 'sticky' status.
  • Smartsaver7
    Options
    Probably the one in Liverpool where the pregnant bride told the groom at reception that baby wasn't his, and the actual father was in the hall.
    The lasts guests to arrive were Merseyside Police when the fighting broke out, We were work colleagues of groom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure