Solaredge v Enphase - 4kw quotes

Options

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, Took me some time to find it but take a look at this thread, it's a lengthy discussion from a few years back but will help you get a grasp of solaredge.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4909999
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    saf1973 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the level of monitoring you see depends on the Envoy level? Quoting on 'envoy S'

The Envoy is capable of multi-panel monitoring. The My Enlighten software does not provide multi-panel monitoring.

The Enphase selling point was that the installer would do the panel level monitoring for the end-customer using Enlighten Manager software.

It was always a ridiculous model because it was against the interest of installer (and possibly Enphase) to discuss single panel faults with end-users. Now there is no one to monitor when an installer has gone into liquidation.

Recent reports speculate that Enphase is not performing well. If Enphase fails there will be no monitoring, and there is the possibility that single inverters can no longer be replaced. This may be the best technical solution but it carries risks moving forward.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Enphase-Survival-Will-Rely-on-Microinverter-Cost-Cuts-and-Growth-in-Energy
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • saf1973
    saf1973 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have heard (from Solaredge) that enphase is in trouble and is pulling out of the UK, what that actually means is unclear as it may just mean they are closing their registered office. If you look at both SE and enphase share prices over the last year they have both dropped, SE from $29.5 to $13.7 and enphase from $3.68 to $1.17 so the whole solar market is suffering since the oil prices dropped and government subsidies around the world fall.

back to my conundrum...

looking at the path of the sun, this morning it took until about 10.30am to light enough of my rear roof to allow SE to start generating on the minimum 8 panels. The enphase designers can put 3 panels on my south garage and 1 on my east roof which would generate >1kw from sunrise, with losing only the one panel when the sun goes over the ridge in late morning.

So it would appear that microinverters would give me greater production on that design.

If however i stuck to having panels only on the rear aspects the SE solution would probably be better.

I do however want to be able to see and monitor my own panels rather than rely on someone else. So my conundrum is power v monitoring and peripheral integration.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    looking at the path of the sun, this morning it took until about 10.30am to light enough of my rear roof to allow SE to start generating on the minimum 8 panels.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Are you confusing the number of panels, with the number that need to be in the sun?

My WNW system has 8 panels, and will generate all day, admittedly not much in the morning, simply from daylight, rather than sunlight.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 November 2016 at 3:04PM
    Options
    "If however i stuck to having panels only on the rear aspects the SE solution would probably be better."

I think you have that wrong. SE works best in the multi-aspect situation you described. The post from Martyn1981 (4 Nov @ 6.22pm) explains.
  • saf1973
    Options
    Unless i'm mistaken Solaredge requires a minimum of 8 panels to be generating to powerup the inverter. Therefore I wont reach 8 panels out of shade until there is sufficient light passing over the apex of my highest roof to add to the 5 on the garage/east aspect (not only do i have different aspects i have different height roofs).

So, solaredge wont be using the 5 until it can get 3 more into action, whereas enphase will generate on a single panel, so 5 x 285w from sunrise to mid/late morning additional generation before Solaredge would kicks in.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Then why does my 8 panel WNW SolarEdge system work all day* when it doesn't see the sun till 2/3pm?

* Caveat, on those half a dozen days of the year when the sky is perfectly clear (and I mean perfectly), there may not be enough reflection in the morning for the WNW to generate, nor in the evening for my ESE to generate.

PV panels will generate with very little light. It might not be enough for the inverter to fire up, but they will be generating. I suspect this may be the misunderstanding.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our system is on a West facing roof, in fact about 10 degrees North of West, and always generates in the morning, but peak production is in the afternoon. The Solaredge inverter copes well with the varying production.
  • saf1973
    Options
    ok thanks, your experiences are starting to move me towards Solaredge. If i can get the installer to use the brighter south garage and small roof for 4 panels rather than their favoured main roof (easier for them) it will give it a bit of a boost as well.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    I have heard (from Solaredge) that enphase is in trouble and is pulling out of the UK, what that actually means is unclear as it may just mean they are closing their registered office. If you look at both SE and enphase share prices over the last year they have both dropped, SE from $29.5 to $13.7 and enphase from $3.68 to $1.17 so the whole solar market is suffering since the oil prices dropped and government subsidies around the world fall.

Hiya. Not sure if you're interested in this, but I read it and thought of you.

SolarEdge returns to revenue growth in Q1 FY 2017

I may be misreading it, but it seems to me that any downturn in their share price was due to a reduction in their growth, despite reasonable profits. So perhaps the share price was going too high due to over expectations, and hence needed a correction.

I'm giving myself the impression (not sure about you?) that I'm trying to 'sell' you the SE option. However, I'm simply trying to show that SE does what it says, and I have some personal experience. However, Enphase may be just as good, or better?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure