What is the minimum wage?

Options
The media keep talking about the minimum wage and the living wage, which seems to be very vague, and is roughly between £6.70 and £7.20 per hour.
However, there is another minimum wage thay they never talk about - "apprenticeships", which seem to be paying £3.40 per hour.
These so called apprenticeships are not the traditional trades - building, plumbing, electrical etc, but basically any job where the employer wants to pay as little as possible.
These are not apprenticeships they are a complete scam and they are becoming more and more evident.:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes dodgy companies aside, over the last couple of years I can honestly say I've come across a lot more companies who will pay a 20ish yo the same exact wage as a 25+ now. I'm sure nobody minds when that'll help reduce ageism. Definately my last and present company abolished the different age range pays.

People go into apprenticeships to get NVQ's. There is usually training involved. A bit more than sink or swim I'm sure.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    These so called apprenticeships are not the traditional trades - building, plumbing, electrical etc, but basically any job where the employer wants to pay as little as possible.
    These are not apprenticeships they are a complete scam and they are becoming more and more evident.

So any apprenticeship not in a "traditional" trade on your list is a scam? Complete rubbish. And I suspect you know that and are simply trying to provoke a reaction.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    So any apprenticeship not in a "traditional" trade on your list is a scam? Complete rubbish. And I suspect you know that and are simply trying to provoke a reaction.

From what I have seen over the past six months, most of the so called "apprenticeships" I have seen are just an excuse to pay people peanuts, less than half the NMW.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure