Company car excess VAT? - Please help

Hi All,

I'm just after a little advice please.

I'm a service engineer who has a company car. This includes personal use and i keep the car 24/7.

Now at work we also have a communal van for the larger equipment we install from time to time.

Basically to cut a long story short, i had a mishap and damaged the van whilst reversing into a stationary object around a blind corner, Being the type of guy i am i confessed to the damage. Now the van went in for repair which the company i work for paid and i agreed to foot the bill for the excess as it was my fault. It also states in our contract that in the event of an accident in a company vehicle we are liable for the excess of £250.

Now rather than paying the amount out in full to the company i work for, we came to an agreed payment plan for X amount over monthly instalments which would come out my wages.

I later received an invoice from the company i work for the which states the following:

TOTAL NET AMOUNT: £250
TOTAL TAX AMOUNT: £50
CARRIAGE: £0
INVOICE TOTAL: £300

Now if the excess is only £250, i can't understand why i'm being charged £300? From previous insurance policies i've never heard of any VAT being applied? Are they trying to make money off my back?

Could someone please help before i go in and make myself look an idiot next week when i query this.

I have had some advice regarding the matter but mainly mixed answers.

Many thanks.

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    No, they will not make money from you but the tax man will.
    This is the weirdest way of dealing with such a matter that I have ever seen. They are treating your misshape as a sale. The accounts department obviously hasn't a clue.
  • Thanks for your reply. I know which is what i cannot understand. It's almost as if I've bought the excess.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    As I understand it with a business insurance if the company are registered for VAT the insurance do not pay the VAT on a repair but pass it on to the company along with the excess.

The business pay the VAT , along with the excess, but they can reclaim VAT .

It seems your company have passed it on to you but you could point out that they can reclaim it rather than charge you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure