🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

40 Years of NI contributions = £119.35 :(

Options

Comments

• glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 654 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "you could register as self employed and pay class 2 This would save you £500 less the few pounds tax on earnings."

Yes but, as I found out when I called the pensions help line, you can only do this until 2018 because class 2 is going to be abolished, after that you would have to pay class 3.
  • OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Still a potential saving of £1,000 which on some parts is of this forum would appear as manna from heaven.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    What is it about people saying they have made x number of years full contributions and in the next breath they say they were contracted out. You haven't made full contributions! You've made reduced contributions so you get less state pension.

Isn't that obvious?

Cheers fj
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is it about people saying they have made x number of years full contributions and in the next breath they say they were contracted out. You haven't made full contributions! You've made reduced contributions so you get less state pension.

Isn't that obvious?

Cheers fj
    I think the DWP's own website says "full contributions" when you log on to your pension forecast, whether you've been contracted out or not. I know my forecast did. :(
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ What is it about people saying they have made x number of years full contributions and in the next breath they say they were contracted out. You haven't made full contributions! You've made reduced contributions so you get less state pension.

Isn't that obvious?

Cheers fj
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel

I think the DWP's own website says "full contributions" when you log on to your pension forecast, whether you've been contracted out or not. I know my forecast did. :(

It does, but I think DWP means full financial years, not full unreduced years.
  • musbury
    Options
    I've 44 years NI contributions but 34 years were I was contracted out, my state pension forecast is £119.00 pw for the past 4 years I've been working part time and not contracted out, I'll hopefully continue for a few years more am I helping to increase my state pension by the longer I'm employed - any advice would be appreciate Da!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    musbury wrote: »
    I've 44 years NI contributions but 34 years were I was contracted out, my state pension forecast is £119.00 pw for the past 4 years I've been working part time and not contracted out, I'll hopefully continue for a few years more am I helping to increase my state pension by the longer I'm employed - any advice would be appreciate Da!
    Every year contributed from April 2016 onwards will add £4.45 to that £119.00.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been working part time

You are paying ( or being credited) with NI?
  • musbury
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    You are paying ( or being credited) with NI?

Oh yes, thanks.
  • Bootsox
    Bootsox Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options

Isn't that obvious?

Cheers fj

Your statement only gives one side to the story.

Gordon Brown's constant meddling with NI rates and thresholds meant that plenty of people ended up paying a lot more in NICs.

The small saving in being contacted out was completely swamped by the more than doubling of the NICs I ended up paying:

£1,743 in 96/97
    £3,798 in 09/10

Saying that people must have a lower pension because they were contracted out is just a lame excuse to squeeze more money out of the taxpayer via Class 3 NICs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport