The adventures of keyring girl...

Options
morecambe.bae
morecambe.bae Posts: 47 Forumite
edited 27 October 2016 at 12:15PM in Debt free diaries
I'm loving these debt diaries so I figured I'd finally start one. The funny thing is, I've been militant on my debt over the past 20 months, it would have made for a great diary but oh well! Better late than never.

You can see from my signature how far I've come. Most peoples eyes pop out of their heads when I tell them (regular folk, I mean. I'm sure you lot aren't surprised at all ;)) As it stands, I've £3500 to go. I pay off about £350 of debt from my salary every month.

Why keyring girl? Well, on top of my full time job I work in nightclubs on Saturday nights, taking photographs and selling them on keyrings. Typically I'll work 2-5 hours and make £100-150 cash (I make 50% commission on my sales). When I'm in good spirits I absolutely smash it, I make good money fast. But when I hit my limit with it, I bomb. The work is physically intensive, emotionally draining for an introvert like me. Plus there's only so much abuse and sexual harassment I can take (men are the worst). It's becoming a bit of a joke with my family and friends, I always say I'll quit but never do... I guess I'm addicted to the money, and it's a quick boost when I'm feeling sad about my debt.

At my most manic, I was earning between £300-500 extra in a month doing this commission based work which meant I stormed through my debt rapidly. Then I hit a brick wall, I started having panic attacks in bars and needing to go home, which obviously resulted in making £0.

I figured here I'd share
1) My debt busting journey, approx 10 months to go.
2) The absolute madness/abuse I deal with in these bars (it's always a LOL fest:mad:)

Hopefully make some friends along the way!

Brief SOA:
Salary: 1440 < secure salary, keyring income never counted on.
Outgoings: 850
Debt payments: 350

So! This week I got a text from my keyring pimp :rotfl:. Can I work this Saturday? Huge hesitation. How do I feel/am I ready to face all those people/will I be able to hit target and make money? I said yes :eek: So all going well, I should make £150 cash this Saturday night. I figured it's a good weekend to try for it, as Friday is payday for my full time job, so there's no immediate pressure for me to make this money. Hey, I might even enjoy it ;)

I'm participating in NOvember challenge too, so hopefully the next 30 days will really make a difference :j

Hopefully this first entry made sense, I never know when I'm rambling. Hopefully someone somewhere hops on board and reads this!
Debt on 01/01/2015: £10,241.50
Remaining debt as of 09/05/2017: £3262.87
:j

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the boards, good luck on the remainder of your journey.

Pmo2
    x
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy new diary and welcome aboard - now are you going to be MB for your username, for short, or KG? Your choice, but generally speaking shortenings rock, here! :D

So - a photographer then? Likewise here, although I have a conscious decision to not use mine for money making purposes - as soon as it turns into "work" I lose all enthusiasm. Having voluntarily done some people/portrait work in the past though I can imagine the sort of thing you have to deal with. Bleurgh - I think is the word! These days I prefer to point my kit in the direction of aircraft...quite often Red ones. :D

Looking forward to seeing how you get on!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • morecambe.bae
    morecambe.bae Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2016 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Hello Essex! - yes, actually a professional photographer although these drunk revellers don't make me feel like one. I am reduced to "Keyring Girl"... not, you know, professional woman ;) The madness is, if I could find some clients to pay me actual photographer rates I'd be out of this debt in the blink of an eye, but I'm sure you know that's not how this industry works sadly.

I don't mind what I'm shortened to!

So - today's update is, I intended today to be a NSD. I even brought my lunch to work, put it in the staff kitchen. But when lunch time came around, I realised the kitchen is INFESTED with...mites? I don't even know. But they were all in my food! And to top it off, there's no tin opener at work so I couldn't have opened the tuna up anyway. I felt annoyed and revolted so I went to sainsburys and bought a ready meal... and one for tomorrow too. So, today's spends is £4.50. Fail fail fail.

I'm mainly just antsy today (no pun intended) because my salary comes in at midnight. Not that this means much, it's all set to go out again by Monday, but I do enjoy that moment the month resets and I get to start all over again :A
  • Poppy3008
    Options
    I found it hilarious you have a 'keyring pimp'! Though clearly not such an amusing job from the sounds of it. Good luck on your debt free journey!
  • morecambe.bae
    Options
    LOl Poppy it's so accurate though! She has control of most of the venues in this city. I work my !!! off, give her 50%. It's really hard to quit, because where else are you going to make £100 in usually three hours? I just take a deep breath, slap some makeup on and go hard with a forced smile. I really don't imagine being a stripper is much different! It wears me down though.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Why keyring girl? Well, on top of my full time job I work in nightclubs on Saturday nights, taking photographs and selling them on keyrings. Typically I'll work 2-5 hours and make £100-150 cash (I make 50% commission on my sales). When I'm in good spirits I absolutely smash it, I make good money fast. But when I hit my limit with it, I bomb. The work is physically intensive, emotionally draining for an introvert like me.

Not that I have a downer on you or anything - but rather you than me!
    Plus there's only so much abuse and sexual harassment I can take (men are the worst).

I thought men would have been the only - not the worst. Just shows how innocent I am... :A
    I figured here I'd share
    1) My debt busting journey, approx 10 months to go.
    2) The absolute madness/abuse I deal with in these bars (it's always a LOL fest:mad:)

Welcome to the boards. :beer:
    Hopefully make some friends along the way!

Brief SOA:
    Salary: 1440 < secure salary, keyring income never counted on.
    Outgoings: 850
    Debt payments: 350

I take it you've done the usual with your outgoings to try to trim them?
    • Gas/Electric switch
    • Brand switches for your shopping
    • Quidco/Topcashback
    • etc
    • etc

Does the rest go into savings?
    So! This week I got a text from my keyring pimp :rotfl:. Can I work this Saturday? Huge hesitation. How do I feel/am I ready to face all those people/will I be able to hit target and make money? I said yes :eek: So all going well, I should make £150 cash this Saturday night. I figured it's a good weekend to try for it, as Friday is payday for my full time job, so there's no immediate pressure for me to make this money. Hey, I might even enjoy it ;)

Good luck! As I've said - rather you than me... :eek:
    Hopefully this first entry made sense, I never know when I'm rambling. Hopefully someone somewhere hops on board and reads this!

I'm sure there will be loads of people.
    So - today's update is, I intended today to be a NSD. I even brought my lunch to work, put it in the staff kitchen. But when lunch time came around, I realised the kitchen is INFESTED with...mites?

Blergh...
    I don't even know. But they were all in my food! And to top it off, there's no tin opener at work so I couldn't have opened the tuna up anyway. I felt annoyed and revolted so I went to sainsburys and bought a ready meal... and one for tomorrow too. So, today's spends is £4.50. Fail fail fail.

Possibly buying a cheap tin opener to keep in your desk/car for such future events may help.

A bit better container is probably needed too...
    I'm mainly just antsy today (no pun intended) because my salary comes in at midnight. Not that this means much, it's all set to go out again by Monday, but I do enjoy that moment the month resets and I get to start all over again :A

It's the payday happy dance... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • morecambe.bae
    Options
    Hi ZTD! Thanks for joining me.
    I take it you've done the usual with your outgoings to try to trim them?
    • Gas/Electric switch
    • Brand switches for your shopping
    • Quidco/Topcashback
    • etc
    • etc

Does the rest go into savings?

There isn't a "rest", there's about £240 left for me to buy food with and live on ;)
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't a "rest", there's about £240 left for me to buy food with and live on ;)

Ah right, I thought that was all part of "outgoings".
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Cailbhinn
    Options
    Wow MB/KG you've cleared £7000 in 18 months! Well done you! Iv always thought about another job but don't have any talents! I could do overtime but as a Mon-Fri worker who invariably leaves late I just can't be a.rsed!
    Starting Debt (31 Oct 2016) - £12,956 | Current Debt (31 Jan 2017) - £10,465 (20% paid)
  • morecambe.bae
    Options
    Diary closed - new thread started :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income