Cardew
Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
edited 29 October 2016 at 11:25AM in Green & ethical MoneySaving

Comments

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well after my own dealings buying my business freehold from the church and knowing what utter penny pinchers they are....I'm very surprised this wasn't done when the FiT was at its peak. It's totally not like them to miss a trick!!
    Better still, almost invisible from below, should keep the NIMBY's happy.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The estimate of generation seems a bit low, and the price a bit high.

But the good news, and far more important, is that 25,000kWhs will make more like 625,000 cups of tea, not 250,000.

Anyways, back to you for all the negativity and PV bashing (unless you've turned over a new leaf :rotfl:)?

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    tunnel wrote: »
    should keep the NIMBY's happy.

Don't count on it!

Even now when PV is cheap, popular, successful, and ticking all the boxes, we still get the 'odd' one that has to complain. ;)

Mart.

PS. I'm in a silly mood tonight.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    tunnel wrote: »
    Well after my own dealings buying my business freehold from the church and knowing what utter penny pinchers they are....I'm very surprised this wasn't done when the FiT was at its peak. It's totally not like them to miss a trick!!
    Better still, almost invisible from below, should keep the NIMBY's happy.
    Surely they wouldn't get FIT?
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    The estimate of generation seems a bit low, and the price a bit high.
    I suspect their scaffolding costs would have been a bit higher than the average semi :D

They might also have found a few faults with roof whilst up there and have included them in total ?
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    My point was really the presentation. Someone, presumably in the solar industry, has prepared a press release that several daily papers have printed word for word complete with photos; it is just lazy journalism.

I would agree with Martyn(as I usually do!) that the output seems low. Assuming 150 x 250watt panels the total is 37.5kWp. To 'hope' for 'only' 25,000kWh pa presumably means there is shading problems.

The 'blurb' implies that the 25,000kWh will all be used 'in house' to reduce the electricity bill.

It states: 'It is enough to power seven semi-detached homes'. well that would be true if you don't include heating or hot water!

The original plan was for 200 panels( costing £500 each) and cost a total of £100,000 and still reduce 'in house' consumption by 25%

http://www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/project-pilgrim/sos-sponsor-our-solar-panels/

At least the appeal for funds agrees with Martyn's estimate of cups of tea, indeed exceeds his estimate - probably using smaller cups.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 27 October 2016 at 2:27PM
    Cardew, did PV runover your dog?

BTW, I thought it was 42kWp, but I did only skim the news yesterday morning. Not sure where the blurb said all generation would be consumed, perhaps I missed that bit. Though of course, if they are open every day, including Sundays, they may well use it all, I've no idea how much leccy a Cathedral uses.

Cheer up, it's all good.

• Martyn1981
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Surely they wouldn't get FIT?

I assumed they would, the 10-50kWp FiT is 4.39/kWh, v's the 0-10kWp FiT of 4.18p/kWh. No, I haven't transposed those numbers.

For 30kWp+ systems an export meter is required. So even if they use it all themselves, they'll be displacing 1MWh of FF generation off the grid for £43.90 today, v's £102 for HPC ...... eventually ..... maybe!

• Martyn1981
    EricMears wrote: »
    I suspect their scaffolding costs would have been a bit higher than the average semi :D

They might also have found a few faults with roof whilst up there and have included them in total ?

Roofer sucks in air through teeth - "You've had some cowboys round, looks this job was done in the dark ages mate!"

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I assumed they would, the 10-50kWp FiT is 4.39/kWh, v's the 0-10kWp FiT of 4.18p/kWh. No, I haven't transposed those numbers.

For 30kWp+ systems an export meter is required. So even if they use it all themselves, they'll be displacing 1MWh of FF generation off the grid for £43.90 today, v's £102 for HPC ...... eventually ..... maybe!
    Didn't even know FIT was available for systems that large. I thought it was for small domestic systems only. Never bothered to look into it as the landlord collects the FIT for our panels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure