Hsbc

Options
Hi, any advice much appreciated ! I put in a claim for missold PPI last year and received a letter back saying they would be upholding my complaint without admission of liability. They confirm that the legal agreement confirms that the account included the benefit of PPI. However they are requesting documentation to confirm the cost of PPI paid, proof of settlement of the account or a personal loan statement showing the final payment. They also want PLP statements showing PPI premiums paid !!!

This is complete jargon to me ! if they can see that the account included PPI surely they would be able to see how much.

Unfortuntately I have no documentation and the loan was paid off in 2003.

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bannhe wrote: »

if they can see that the account included PPI surely they would be able to see how much.

Not necessarily - especially from 13 years ago.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They also want PLP statements showing PPI premiums paid !!!

Just because PPI was on the account, does not mean you actually paid any. For example, credit cards do not normally charge PPI if you pay in full each month. They only charge it if you borrow outside of the free period.
    This is complete jargon to me ! if they can see that the account included PPI surely they would be able to see how much.

Data gets destroyed over time. Especially statements. The account code may show an account with PPI. That info could be retained for decades or even centuries. However, the amounts involved and whether there were any PPI transactions could be destroyed within 6 years.

You may have cancelled within the cancellation rights period.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    Is it usual to need this level of evidence. When i consolidated my HSBC loan i did not receive any letters stating that the ppi or loan had been paid off. If they are not providing that evidence how can they expect it to be produced?
    I'm Ever hopeful!
    :j:j:j:j
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it usual to need this level of evidence. When i consolidated my HSBC loan i did not receive any letters stating that the ppi or loan had been paid off. If they are not providing that evidence how can they expect it to be produced?

The onus is on the accuser to provide evidence. If they have deleted their old record, they are asking the OP to provide copies so they can make an accurate repayment. If there are no records they are allowed to guess based on any records they do have so invite the OP to provide proof so a proper total can be calculated
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If they are not providing that evidence how can they expect it to be produced?
    In the event of neither the Bank nor the complainant having any documentary evidence, then the complainant is obviously the loser, assuming the complaint is upheld.

The Bank are not asking the Op for proof that the PPI was concluded/cancelled, they are asking for evidence of how much PPI was actually paid.

In most cases the Banks do have records, but in this case the OP is complaining about a loan paid off 13 years ago. That means the loan is even older than that.
  • Crazydennie
    Options
    Thanks. So the OP should get some recompense, even if based on averages?
    I'm Ever hopeful!
    :j:j:j:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So the OP should get some recompense, even if based on averages?
    Only if the Bank agrees the insurance was mis-sold, of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure