Being prescribed an overdose (again)

Options
123457»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible, isn't it? In their eyes they can do no wrong... yet I suspect almost everyone knows someone who has died through their astonishing levels of negligence.

Negligence is one thing, deliberate malice is something else. The nurses in Tooting hospital refused to give Kane Gorny a drink until he died of dehydration and nobody was prosecuted for it. If society is willing to turn a blind eye to that the NHS can get away with anything. When you see how Julie Bailey was driven from her home for campaigning to improve standards in the NHS there's little wonder that few are willing to speak out.
  • Andypandyboy
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible, isn't it? In their eyes they can do no wrong... yet I suspect almost everyone knows someone who has died through their astonishing levels of negligence.

This lady "only" had a delay of six-months waiting for the NHS to pull their fingers out and do their job. But still that killed her. Many people wait longer for common-sense treatments, and many don't have the strength to fight the doctors for their lives.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heartbroken-family-young-cancer-victim-9070522

It's interesting, because although there is little information about the case online, it seems fairly straightforward and the delay only amounted to six months. There's far more compelling evidence to prove neglect and malpractice regarding my parents' cases.

Through work, I also have management-level contacts at Irwin Mitchell and several other law firms... I'd previously discounted the idea of prosecuting the NHS, but I get the feeling that these unnecessary delays and deaths are accepted as part of the system -- even by the trolls on this thread.

I should probably look at the possibility of taking legal action. I suppose everyone has a duty to hold the NHS to account. Eventually, if it costs the NHS enough, they might change their ways and learn how to diagnose people with the obvious symptoms of serious conditions. Even if they kill one less person, it would be worth it, I guess.

I thnk most of us are immensely glad the NHS exists, but for those who have had personal experience of loss or negligence the old adage " a doctor buries his mistakes" is still very apt.

I imagine many more people would sue or take legal action but don't because it won't being back their loved one. We were actually asked by the undertaker if we were sure we wanted my father cremated as he had been so badly operated on he was sure we would be taking action - and that was just the end result. Leading up to that had been so many instances of incompetence it was almost beyond belief. My mother was old school and in awe of doctors and she simply wouldn't hear of taking any legal action. Of course, you are also grieving and cannot focus on much else.

That was over 20 years ago, and yet today I am talking to a close friend who has been so badly let down by the NHS that it has reduced her life expectancy to two years if she is lucky. I also know of two other friends who have lost relatives in the last three years through NHS negligence, both of those cases did go to court and the hospitals were held accountable.

So nothing much seemed to have changed.

Am I glad to have the NHS? Yes. Would I defend and support its existance to the hilt? Yes. Do I hold in high regard thse who work within it, in sometimes very difficult circumstances and for little reward? Absolutely.

Would I blindly trust that they will do what needs to be done in every given situation? No. Would I accept without question that they put every patients needs before money or staffing issues? No.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I glad to have the NHS? Yes. Would I defend and support its existance to the hilt? Yes. Do I hold in high regard thse who work within it, in sometimes very difficult circumstances and for little reward? Absolutely.

Would I blindly trust that they will do what needs to be done in every given situation? No. Would I accept without question that they put every patients needs before money or staffing issues? No.

I agree. Universal healthcare should be part of any developed society, and the NHS is, overall, a very good thing. But there are huge problems with the system we have now, with tragic consequences. And, as you say, nothing seems to change. :(

Going back to drug prescribing, I saw this news article today about how doctors are harming patients by contradicting official advice and over-prescribing benzodiazepines.
    According to government guidance, the recommended maximum time for which benzodiazepines should be prescribed is four weeks, to reduce the risk of dependency.

But a BMA report, published last year, warned people were being prescribed them for longer. BBC 5 live Investigates has found cases of people using the drugs for decades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37716869
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without wanting to resurrect a contentious debate, I just saw this article in the news. It's about a woman who was repeatedly fobbed off with negligent doctors who failed to examine her serious symptoms.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/damages-for-family-of-surbiton-woman-who-died-from-cervical-cancer-after-feeling-fobbed-off-a3387466.html

I'm sure the NHS have to legitimately fob off all sorts of "healthy whingers", but failing to examine obviously serious conditions is shocking.

Something needs to be done! But what...?

The Tories are crushing the NHS through underfunding, but money won't help the incompetences in diagnosis and triage -- that's a separate issue.

I think there needs to be some kind of independent/non-profit organisation who people can turn for help when the NHS is failing them. Too many people are having their lives cut short because they have to rely on state healthcare and have nowhere else to turn.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Interestingly enough I went to my gp recently and mentioned that although a cervical smear last year came back clear (and thus didnt need another one for 3 years) I was having symptoms that was giving me cause for concern and how did I go about getting a private one, given my medical history.

She, without arguement has booked me in for a consultant appt, which I have in a fortnight's time.

I think we need to get out of the mind set that doctors know everything but also need to learn to take things into our own hands - I'm not rich by any sort of imagine but had the doctor refused to refer me I would have gone had the smear done privately.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Oh and perhaps we could take responsibility as well.

By finishing off courses of medication given to us & by not expecting the gp to prescribe paracetamol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure