Application/Interview Result Dispute - Emergency Service

Options
2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd agree that it would be a waste of time to pursue this any further. What would be better to spend your time doing is considering why you left something out of your employment history and what in future you should do if there is something in there that you don't want employers to know about.
    And, to be honest, considering your approach to life! By your own version of events, you went at this like a bull in a china shop. If that is the way you approach things in life, I wouldn't want you at MY emergency! Sorry, but that's a fact. Judging by the way you say you approached this, and your bullish attitude, I'm guessing that their version of the story will suggest even more of a confrontational approach. In the right circumstances and at the right time, that can be an advantage. But these definitely weren't the right circumstances, and this definitely isn't the right job to display such tendencies in. The job is about dealing calmly and quietly with highly pressured situations and people in fear and pain. You couldn't manage calmly and quietly with an everyday situation of your own making.

That isn't a criticism, by the way. Neither could I. But I know it, and it doesn't appear you do. In employment people have to play to their strengths and not just their skills. I would be as useful as a chocolate teapot in an emergency. My sister, on the other hand, actually does work in emergency services and is extremely good at it with a bunch of commendations to her name. But she couldn't make an employer back off, or get a refund at a restaurant for a lousy meal, to save her own life! She can talk a gun man down in an armed siege over the phone. She can organise an incident room in two seconds flat. She can't tell a restaurant manager that the food was lousy, and when she needs the union she rings me! Perhaps you should consider the direction your own strengths lie?
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    It might alao depend on what was in the employment gaps that you initially left out. I assume you left them out for a reason which seems now to have been justified.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    As others said and I can only reiterate.

The HR advisor may have been trying to be helpful to you by letting you forward on your employment history gaps but they or someone else may have since found they were not following procedures.

The people who actually make the decisions on the other hand will only see it as a failure to follow instructions.

We have also in the past decided not to recruit someone because they did not bring in their certifications to their interview when asked prior to the interview. They were also asked to bring them in should they be invited to a second interview but by that time we had already found someone who could follow instructions from the get go.
  • HiToAll
    HiToAll Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should sue them, that will then get you a job with them, as employers love that.

or you could move on.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport