Default! please help?

Hi guys
Just got my first ever credit report through and can see a default from dec 2001 to what i can gather is a catalogue, am planning to buy my first home with my partner in a year, have i got any chance at all of getting a mortgage? my partner has a squeaky clean rating, will that help me or am i doomed until dec 2007?
Please help someone

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The lenders offering the best deals on a mortgage will be very wary of any default. Many will simply reject you out of hand. If you have a large deposit you can get over this but you really, really, really need to find out what this is all about and challenge it. Whatever you do, don't pay it off until all other avenues are totally exhausted as its an admission of guilt.

You might not be buying a house next year, it might be 2007 (allows 6 years for default to vanish).
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • nikki6780
    nikki6780 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Thanks for that advice bigman, what other avenue's are there? I understand if i did pay it off then the default will not be removed until dec 2007 anyway but there is a ccj for the same debt aswel so I will need to repay it to get that removed, won't i? My partner will have a big deposit as he owns a house valued at around £260k so will that help me if did want to buy before dec 2007?
    Xbigman wrote:
    The lenders offering the best deals on a mortgage will be very wary of any default. Many will simply reject you out of hand. If you have a large deposit you can get over this but you really, really, really need to find out what this is all about and challenge it. Whatever you do, don't pay it off until all other avenues are totally exhausted as its an admission of guilt.

You might not be buying a house next year, it might be 2007 (allows 6 years for default to vanish).
    Regards

X
  • loobyloo1980
    loobyloo1980 Posts: 587 Forumite
    do you know what the default and CCJ are for? If they are for a debt you were aware of having in 2001 then you will have no comeback and will have to settle them.

but if they are for something which you are not liable for then you could challenge the company to remove them from your record. Did you received any letters or anything threatening default for non-payment or any court summons???

I have a default but I am well aware of why I have it and how it happened, and you don't seem to be sure. Check it out before paying.
    Official DFW Nerd #148 :D
    Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
    Lightbulb moment May 2006 :idea:
  • nikki6780
    nikki6780 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Hi loobyloo Yeah I am aware of it although only about a year after it was placed, as I had split up with my child's father and he didn't give me any mail or let me know about any letters, resulting in no response from me to a default, I think that was unfair, I thought he had paid it off in 2000 but obviously not. Thats what you get for opening accounts with catalogues and letting your partner shop!
  • frepol
    frepol Posts: 202 Forumite
    I don't know how much weight these are given, but you could place what is called a Notice of Correction on your credit file which gives you the chance to put your side of the story in these matters.

The fact that you did not receive the summons etc. also works in your favour, although you would need to be able to pay off the debt in full in order to have any chance of having it overturned. It would not be a good idea to have the CCJ challenged, get it removed and then have the catologue company reapply for a new CCJ because you still can't pay. That way, it wouldn't come off your credit file until 2011!

Consider the Notice of Correction at the very least, and that should be explained in the booklet that came with your credit file or on the websites of the CRAs which are:

https://www.experian.co.uk
    https://www.equifax.co.uk
  • loobyloo1980
    nikki6780 wrote:
    Hi loobyloo Yeah I am aware of it although only about a year after it was placed, as I had split up with my child's father and he didn't give me any mail or let me know about any letters, resulting in no response from me to a default, I think that was unfair, I thought he had paid it off in 2000 but obviously not. Thats what you get for opening accounts with catalogues and letting your partner shop!

right, I see ;)
    Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
  • loobyloo1980
    frepol wrote:
    I don't know how much weight these are given, but you could place what is called a Notice of Correction on your credit file which gives you the chance to put your side of the story in these matters.

The fact that you did not receive the summons etc. also works in your favour, although you would need to be able to pay off the debt in full in order to have any chance of having it overturned. It would not be a good idea to have the CCJ challenged, get it removed and then have the catologue company reapply for a new CCJ because you still can't pay. That way, it wouldn't come off your credit file until 2011!

Consider the Notice of Correction at the very least, and that should be explained in the booklet that came with your credit file or on the websites of the CRAs which are:

https://www.experian.co.uk
    https://www.equifax.co.uk

I placed these on my entries too, worth a try I suppose
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A similar thing happened to me .
    I contacted the company who issued the CCJ and told them that I had not had any corerespondence from them as they had been sending it to the wrong address.

I said I would pay them the amount (well, I was cheeky and said that I would pay the principal amount but not other costs) IF they had the judgement set aside on the grounds that I hadn`t had previous correspondence. In other words the judgement was issued in error .

I sent them a cheque and a week or 2 later got a letter back from the court saying that the judgement had been sat aside. Having a judgement set aside is NOT the same as paying a judgement and having it satisfied .

I have not applied for my credit file since or applied for credit , but I am led to believe that this will not have a bad affect on my credit score.

The link below ( from a website I have never used ) gives more details.
    http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/ccj-removal/valid-reasons.htm

Bestyman
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure