PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Thread Tuesday 11th October 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 11 October 2016 at 6:44AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thread Tuesday 11th October

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, dry underfoot but air is chilly, we had the heating on for an hour last night and it's on at the moment but I'll be turning it off shortly. Yesterday the weather wasn't too bad until about 2pm when the sky went a very nasty shade of blue/grey and we had a very heavy downpour, sun was shining again half an hour later!

DH up and gone to work, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 will be awake shortly.

Dinner last night was egg, bacon, sausage, hash browns, black pudding, mushrooms and beans, dessert from the tins or ice cream. Not sure what we'll be having tonight as DH is going straight to a committee meeting after work, easy evening for me then! Dinner will be what I decide once I get in later, will try to get dinner served earlier but I work a bit later on a Tuesday so that may not be possible.

Work yesterday was a manic day, the problem with staffing really showed as 1 of our colleagues was held up and late and it only left 1 person at the front to open as myself and other colleague were still trying to sort out the problems with the machines and monies - due to someone else not doing what they should have on Friday! Luckily we managed to sort it, but the day got off to a manic start and stayed that way most of the morning - at least the day passed very quickly!

Today should be more settled, as our supervisor is back - we'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

Not sure what the weather is doing, it's too dark! No washing today, yesterday's wasn't too bad when I got it in. I went to DDs after work so didn't get home till 8 so it felt a bit damp. All dry this morning on the airer as I had the heating on for an hour when I got home.

Pleased the heating seems to work ok, that's the first I've had it on since April, always a worry.

Had a lovely dinner of salmon and veggies at DDs, her and her bf had a good time away.

Not much happening here, Gers, I'm glad you got home before the road closed, it would have been total chaos - that wibbly wobbly road is horrible when it's busy.

Hope you had a good day hilstep. Take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,054 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

Dark and chilly here. Sunshine is showing on the forecast again so I may get a washing out.

Camelot - yes I was so lucky to just miss the chaos. My car still has the faint scratches from my last forced drive on the wibbly-wobbly road. When I took my visitors down it on Saturday it was much pleasanter without every square inch being jammed with other cars.

My lovely neighbours at the other end of the farm, are planning to move out. Whilst it's sad I can understand that they want to be away from the memories of their two sons. They're moving back to their own house about a mile away once jobs have been done.

Today I have a meeting with my bank manager to discuss my now matured ISA. Then I'm having more insulation put into the loft - a present from the government via SSE. That'll be my day, apart from the lurking elephant of the back grass I'll be doing a day of recovery!

I hope everyone also has a calm day.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning, it has become cold and the heating is on, just until I am dressed. I've resisted it up to now but blue extremities is not a good look for work. I have to wear layers, it can be so cold on the way there (walk briskly missis ) but once I am there, the building tends to be very overheated with cold pockets. It must be hard to heat such a massive building properly.

Deleted_User thank you for the disappearing mouse and trap advice, I'll see if it has gone behind the kitchen cupboards tonight - have already checked all round at floor level where visible and it is a small kitchen.I don't like killing them but don't want us all being ill from mousey germs. Did you know that they really go for fresh parsley? Strange but true.

Must get ready for the onslaught of work, hope everyone has a good day and that Hilstep has enjoyed the memory day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Brrr cold here this morning and very dark, off to work for me, I had a word with the new manager yesterday and told her exactly how the staff are feeling, I am almost sure she is going to lose at least one of us, she then offered to work my Saturday for me as she could see it was getting to me, so not doing a 7 day week now only a six which makes a huge difference, I still have to go in Sunday but don't mind doing one day :j

Evie has a cuddly dog toy which is almost as big as her, it normally lives in the garden because she keeps putting it out there, I got it in yesterday and washed it and while she was out for her walk sat it in front of the fire to dry, Evie came back from her walk saw it and growled and 'stalked' it when she eventually worked up the courage she went up and sniffed its bum :rotfl: she is a very funny little dog.

Dinner tonight is something with mince possibly spag bol or a pasta bake.

Need to do a wash tonight too.

Have good days all xx
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all.
    Hope everyone is ok this cold and fresh morning.
    Had a day from hell yesterday as went to work early to sort one of the new guys out but got there to find the Internet was down till 9.30 so couldn't do anything. From the time we turned the phones over it was non stop. My last call of the day was an irate tnt who was so rude and snappy that my blood pressure went up and I ended up having a turn on the bus home. Really time to look for another job me thinks. That with another turn last night I feel like rubbish today. Did contemplate calling in sick but need the pennies so can't.
    DH still not fully right from his duckies tummy last night so had jacket spuds and scrambled eggs . Maybe we will get the chicken casserole tonight.
    DD1 called me last night to say her ch was making a funny noise and from the sound of it I think it's the main control panel on the way out. Told her to call her landlord and get it sorted before they get to busy and it gets too cold.
    My best mate popped in and gave me her half of the holiday deposit yesterday so I have some extra pennies to pay for the remainder of my half.
    Anyhoo best get ready to go and be abused again at work.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all, thanks for the thread nmlc. I hope today at work is better for you, sounds horrendous x

Gers - glad you got home safely x
    hilstep - I hope you had a lovely memory day x
    AOD - good luck with finding the mouse ewwwwww! X
    redruby - glad the manager has taken some notice x

I resigned from both my part time jobs yesterday. They knew I'd got the other one, but I had an email to say they want me to start on 14th November. I have worked it so I get a week off in between jobs - bit of a luxury considering our circumstances, but I haven't had any time off since the end of May so could do with a rest. I also need to sort out with DH about meals and shopping. He is a good cook, but goes for the top range in the supermarket if left to his own devices, whereas I go for value or own brand which makes a big difference.

I have also been doing a bit of online present buying for Christmas as I don't fancy facing the crowds on a weekend in November/December.

Washing going on shortly, two loads today, and I'm food shopping later at Aldi and Asda. Bit further to go but worth it for the savings.

I hope you all have a fab day,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LWW - so sorry to hear that. I hope today isn't good bad. Sending hugs xxx
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Foggy here and feels cold, the heating has clicked in but I went round and switched all but two radiators off so it's just taking the chill off really, need that tank of oil to last right through!
    Had a lovely day with Mum yesterday, we went out to Sainsbobs and she had a walk round picking up a few bits, then after lunch we sat and looked through a "Grandma" book she did for my niece & nephew a few years ago. It was full of pictures from when she was young, descriptions of her life etc. It's a real treasure and we both enjoyed looking through it, talking about happy memories and loved ones. :A
    Today she has some pals visiting this afternoon so we will do some baking this morning ready for her tea party :)
    Better get going as need to get chores etc done before I go over, have a hankering for mushrooms on toast for brekkie,
    Have a good day everyone, hope you have a better day LWW, take care folks x
  • tiredmum2
    tiredmum2 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all
    Brr chilly this morning Autumn has defiantly arrived .
    Hopefully those struggling at work will have a better day today and feel more appreciated
    Off to get DS from Luton airport this afternoon its not the closest and i didn't know he was coming back there until we were on our way to Gatwick on Friday:mad:
    Dog has been walked and the WM is on the go so not too much to do just a quick swish round before i go out
    Dinner tonight pie n mash
    Have a great day x
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the doggy support elona and LameWolf :) He does love his exercise in the garden and seems more relaxed. He's been pretty good at not barking at people going past the house now – mostly just growling at them from the sofa instead of throwing a tantrum at the window! - but the last few days he's just glanced over then led back down. This is definitely the right thing for him, but I still feel bad :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Donna has finally realised that she's a chicken and has joined the other ladies on the perch, rather than sleeping by herself on the shelf :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My sprouts are finally beginning to grow, there's been loads for ages but they've stayed tiny until now, hopefully they'll be big enough to pick and eat by Christmas day, lol. I have loads of beetroot that needs pulling up. Also plenty of carrots, but they can stay in the ground until I need them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I haven't got much to do today. The shopping will be here between 10-11am, I'll clean the fridge before it arrives. Crochet this afternoon, I'm looking forward to it. I keep planning a free afternoon to really get stuck into it but it never quite works out that way, hopefully today will go to plan :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family