PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

O/S Daily Tuesday 4 October 2016

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 4 October 2016 at 6:36AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 4 October 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now getting light, dry underfoot but breezy again but not so cold, although it was chilly last night.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 and DS2 still in their pits, DS2 will be woken in a bit so he can get ready for college. DS1 still on holiday from work.

Dinner last night was scampi, chips, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had steamed haddock, jacket potato and veg. Tonight we'll be having pasta with a sauce, and breaded chicken pieces, I'll probably just have the pasta and sauce.

Yesterday work was a manic day, although it did start off slow for about the first 15 minutes, then it just went manic and was like it for the rest of the day, a mixture of it being a Monday and the beginning of the month - we had a queue of people still waiting to pay at 3.59pm, we got it sorted though and we had several problems with the machines and a lady that says she paid but didn't get a receipt and of course we have no way of checking, we did check the machine inside to make sure a receipt hadn't got stuck but there wasn't one, it'll be interesting to see if a payment is credited to her/an account. I was only discussing with my supervisor yesterday morning, about how we think that most people now understand and know how to use the machines ..... famous last words. It's likely that the lady didn't put the right info in so the machine timed out - no-one saw her put any money in the machine either ...... we'll have to wait and see what happens with that one.

I'll check the forecast and if it looks ok, I'll put a load in WM and get DS1 to put it out for me.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,942 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, thanks for the thread nmlc x

I didn't sleep well - worried I wouldn't wake up at 6, so ended up getting up before the alarm. I have decided not to wash my hair - it reacts better to straighteners when it hasn't just been washed. Everyone is still asleep so will get DD and DS2 up shortly.

Will be getting a train at 7.20 so no time to do anything before I leave.

Have a good day all
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Fingers crossed Coxy!

Dark but dry here, washing to go out when it's light enough. Yesterday was glorious, washing all dried and I went for a walk around Balloch Park when I got home, stunning scenery just as the sun was setting.

Sorry to hear of your worries TA, hope things are sorted soon.

I did 2 loads of washing for friends across the road last night - they are having new flooring put in so have disconnected their WM, with 2 children the washing soon mounts up. Their boiler went on the blink last night so will probably have them all for a shower in a bit, they can lock up as I will have gone to work.

DD and bf are on their way to Vienna this morning for a couple of days then they are getting the train to Budapest until Saturday, lucky spuds!

Hoping everyone is well, dumpling - how lovely that you are happy to go out.

Take care. XX
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Fingers crossed Coxy
    Hugs to the TA's and anyone else in need.
    Brrr it's chilly here this morning.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Good luck Coxy! xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been through the fridge, freezer and cupboards and done an online shop for today. When we go away, the kids either hardly touch anything or eat everything in sight - there's no inbetween, lol. But this time they seem to have eaten a sensible amount of food so it was just a normal shop this week.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi has been a bit grumpy since we got back, he's not happy when he hears a car pull up or the neighbours in their garden. He seemed a more relaxed last night so hopefully he'll be back to normal today. Well, his version of normal :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've ticked a couple of things off my list. I started in the bathroom and utility room, I thought it would be easier to start with the two smallest rooms. But because they're so small, there's nowhere to put things while rearranging so it all spilled out onto the landing and into the kitchen. It looked a lot worse before it started looking better, lol. I haven't finished them yet so it's still very untidy. I'll get stuck in again today then if there's time, I'll make a start on the bedroom.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • lonewhitewolf
    Options
    Morning all x
    Cox fingers crossed for you hun x

Well yesterday I went back to work. Wondering why I did as it was a mess . Phones did not stop ringing all morning so gonna be playing catch up for some time now. The girl who was covering me did her best but things just stacked up.
    Dinner last night was pasta bake using the chicken left over from Sunday. Whilst freezer diving I found some fish pies so they will be tonight's meal.
    WM on and will go on the line in a bit. DW to empty yet .
    Must do the ironing tonight as it is starting to mount up again.
    DH broke another filling yesterday so he is back to dentist today. At least he won't have to pay as they have a rule where if you go back in under 6 weeks for the same tooth they fix it for free.
    Anyhoo better go get DD2 up for work.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,165 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all.

Fingers crossed Coxy.

Well the 'shepherd's warning' came to nothing yesterday though it wasn't as glorious as Camelot had. The rain stayed away, the sun came out weakly and the winds came up. More red streaks in the sky today.

My little bit of washing blew dry in no time, I had to untangle the pj bottoms from the line a couple of times so put pegs on the bottom of each leg to weigh them down though they still got blown over the line.

The wind was howling overnight again but no sign this morning.

I thoroughly enjoyed my home grown beef, the long slow cook turned out a beautiful roast. My meals for a week are now planned. I may just slice some up for the freezer.

Today I have a business call to make and then need to crack on.

I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks for starting the thread NMLC. Once again good luck COXY. Everything crossed for you!

It was nice to escape our stresses yesterday for a while. Had a nice wander round Skipton market stalls in the sunshine but didn't buy much, then went for a belated anniversary lunch. I was disappointed with mine but Mr TA's looked delicious and he thoroughly enjoyed it. Nevertheless it's not a place I would rush back to in a hurry.

DS looked drained when he got in from work (late) and says he has booked a couple of days off. He was hoping this morning to make a first trip to start bringing all his clothes, tools, gadgets and boys toys back here but ex is playing a*** h***s and says she will not be dictated to when to be there to let him in. You are right CANDLELIGHT she has caused much upset and grief amongst us all over the years. She has deep rooted issues from her childhood which desperately need addressing and sorting out. For this reason I have always bitten my tongue and tried to be right with her, but the gloves are off now and I could swing for her. DS is such a peace loving lad he doesn't deserve this aggro.

Oh well life has to go on and one of today's meals must include the left over chicken, mash and veg from Sunday. So one meal sorted! There's also some ham that needs eating so that may go into a creamy pasta dish for lunch.

Have a good day and (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 October 2016 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Hope am not too late, good luck Coxy x

Had a rough night so slept in a bit, it's a beautiful morning here, sunny but some mist ifykwim, gorgeous and makes me wish I could paint!
    Mum was in good spirits yesterday and we sat in the garden for a couple of hours, she is sleeping much better and had even gone out for a little trip to the shops for some birthday cards although that wore her out.

Need to spend some time with Bill today, there is some washing to do and will probably do another long walk as my exercise levels have dropped off in the last few weeks and I feel heavier for it.

Hope your DS gets access to his things TA.

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :wave:

It's a fine and bright morning here, everyone has gone off to work/school and I have had a quick tidy round before my visitors arrive.

I have ordered some shopping from Sainsburys which is being delivered between 4-5 but until it comes the fridge is really bare. I have lots of salad stuff in though so that is lunch sorted.

Dinner is being delivered when the shopping comes. I am 'making' storecupboard stew which just involves opening a load of tins and warming them up with some crusty bread.

I've got my fingers crossed for Coxy this morning.
    Lainey, it's good to hear about your mum enjoying herself at your brother's house.
    I hope things settle for your son TA and he is able to get his stuff without a load of drama x

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning everyone,

After a good days work yesterday I headed home for badminton. When I got in my GF's car, I said "have you got money?" (to pay for the badminton) and she replied, "yes". I got in and we go on our way, about a 30 minute drive. She asked, "do I have time to go to the petrol station beforehand?" and looking at her petrol gauge, we didn't have a choice.

Can you see where this is going yet?

We arrive at the petrol station and (thankfully) before filling up, she realised that although she had her purse, her bank card was in her dress pocket. So we were stranded. 20 minutes from home so we couldn't drive back. We had to be rescued by her brother. Needless to say, we didn't make badminton. So that's an hour of my life I won't get back haha.

Anyway, back to it today. We've moved guys night from a Thursday to a Tuesday, so I'm looking forward to it.

Coxy - All the best for today!
    Camelot - That's very kind of you.
    Gers - Home grown beef? Sounds delish.
    TA - I hate to hear of the troubles your DS has. I hope it's resolved soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport