Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families» Deaths, Funerals & Probate

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
374 replies 57.8K views

Replies

• BrightyBrighty Forumite
    755 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Person_one wrote: »
    OP, I think that when you've got your inheritance and are looking to make some decisions you should have a read of the 'House buying, selling & renting' board on this forum. You will see a lot of private tenants having problems with private landlords and letting agents, often the same sorts of problems over and over again, and they aren't rare or unusual, pretty much everybody who privately rents for any period of time seems to have issues, and most of them are a lot worse than having to wait a while to get through to a call centre!

I expect that a poll of tenants, both HA and private, would show overwhelmingly that most would rather be in HA properties.

The problem is that a large majority of private landlords either can't or won't rent to tenants on benefits, so the only private ones available to them are usually the bad ones

Brighty
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brighty wrote: »
    The problem is that a large majority of private landlords either can't or won't rent to tenants on benefits, so the only private ones available to them are usually the bad ones

Brighty

Most of the people posting their problems on that board aren't on benefits. They're just ordinary private tenants trying to deal with landlords who won't do repairs, or are intrusive, or try to withhold deposits, or don't understand their legal obligations.
  • BrightyBrighty Forumite
    755 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the people posting their problems on that board aren't on benefits. They're just ordinary private tenants trying to deal with landlords who won't do repairs, or are intrusive, or try to withhold deposits, or don't understand their legal obligations.

True, but OP is, private sector is massively reduced for benefit tenants.
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brighty wrote: »
    True, but OP is, private sector is massively reduced for benefit tenants.

Yes, that's another downside, there are many. She really would be better off staying with a HA, I hope she realises that before she gives up her tenancy which would be a huge mistake.

I also very much agree with the advice to sign up to a GP asap, OP clearly needs more help and support with their mental health than they are getting at present.
  • patman99patman99 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I came into £118k, I would look at buying my own place. No rent to pay, or landlords to deal with. Also, no risk of being made homeless if you cannot pay the rent.

As for the inheritance, I guess it will be earning interest whilst in the executor's account so you will get even more the longer it takes to release it.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    28.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    patman99 wrote: »
    If I came into £118k, I would look at buying my own place. No rent to pay, or landlords to deal with. Also, no risk of being made homeless if you cannot pay the rent.

The OP would have to maintain that home with her only income coming from benefits though.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the sisters really have got their money they could(probably should) transfer some(1/3) of that which would probably be enough(2/3 each of what is due) to get you started with your plans while they sort out how to release the other 1/3.

I can think of several reasons not to do this, but the most important one is that one of the sisters does not currently have mental capacity to enter into such an arrangement. (I.e. to lend £59,000 of what is now her own money to the OP, to be repaid when the OP receives her funds from the estate.)

If she did have capacity to agree to this, she would be able to instruct the bank to release the late mother's funds, and problem solved.
  • HermiaHermia Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, I think that when you've got your inheritance and are looking to make some decisions you should have a read of the 'House buying, selling & renting' board on this forum. You will see a lot of private tenants having problems with private landlords and letting agents, often the same sorts of problems over and over again, and they aren't rare or unusual, pretty much everybody who privately rents for any period of time seems to have issues, and most of them are a lot worse than having to wait a while to get through to a call centre!

I expect that a poll of tenants, both HA and private, would show overwhelmingly that most would rather be in HA properties.

I agree that she needs to do her research. A lot of the problems that she thinks are unique to HA are just the same in the private sector (frequent inspections, having trouble getting through to the letting agency etc.)
  • edited 7 October 2016 at 2:41PM
    SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2016 at 2:41PM
    I did get an email from the well sister 2 days ago.
    The ill sister has gone into hospital voluntarily so they have not sectioned her.

I have not heard anymore from my sister yet.
    But I did speak to the woman in their Launderette I got to who I have told about the will.

I told her what Barclays bank have told me-That they won't let my sister send me the money or release any of it unless the others sister is there to sign.

I told the woman in the Launderette about what Barclays said that my sister must apply for power of attorney to gain sole control of the account.

The woman in the launderette was as shocked as I am that I cannot get my money because of the Red Tape pf my sisters bank.
    She said there must be another way.

She advised me to talk to my solicitor again and if he won't help me to get another solicitor that will and fight this.
    Which will probably mean going to court.

I spoke to my Solicitor today and I told him that from what my sister told me in her conversation, that both my sister have already got their inheritance but I haven't.

What I think must have happened is that the house must have been sold a week or 2 before my Solicitor or I knew about it.
    And my sisters estate agent must have paid the money into my sisters executives account.
    Since they are executors or the will and sold the house.
    And my sisters took their share of the money just before my other sister got ill.

Then my sisters was going to send my share to me, when she found she could not because the bank wants the other sister to be there to sign and she could not be.

I also told my solicitor what the manager of Barclays bank told me.
    That the well sister get power of attorney to manage the account herself.

But my solicitor said Barclays Bank have told me wrong.
    If my sister does not recover then my well sister must aply to the Court Pf Protection to gain control on the ground that my other sister is mentally incompetent.

So I asked my solicitor what if my sister does not want to do this?
    He said we can force her-I assume that means take her to court or court order.

I told my solicitor I am very distress as this me and I may never get my money.
    He said that won't happen as you have said.
    And said the same as you, that Barclays Bank have done nothing wrong as they are following the correct procedure.
    That if it's a joint account or executors account,they need both sisters to manage it.
    The responsibility is with the executors.
    But my solicitor said he will help me my sister does not get better and we do have to take this further.
    He said he will write to my sister and find out what's happening.
    As they should not have taken their share without telling me.
    The money should have been shared out at the same time the executors received it.

I am in a terrible state over this.
    And if my solicitor won't help me get my money I go to another one.
    I want to fight for my money.
    I am not going to let 118k go and I told my solicitor that.
    The worst scenario is that I won't get my money.
    But I am going to fight for it, even if that means going to another Solicitor and taking it to court.
  • fairy_lightsfairy_lights Forumite
    9.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    annbarbs wrote: »

But my solicitor said Barclays Bank have told me wrong.
    If my sister does not recover then my well sister must aply to the Court Pf Protection to gain control on the ground that my other sister is mentally incompetent.
    This is what you have already been advised will happen in this thread, for free, by speaking to your solicitor about it all you've done is add more money on to your bill.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support