Ladies Advent calendars

Options
I would really like to treat myself to one of those beauty advent calendars that come round each year.
Most seem to me to be expensive for what they are?
Are they good value for money? and if so which would you recommend ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Comments

• helcat26
    helcat26 Posts: 1,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    might be a bit early
    M+S did one last year for £25

Superdrug are doing a make up revolution one £30
    http://www.superdrug.com/Makeup-Revolution/Makeup-Revolution-Beauty-Advent-Calendar/p/712037
    Boots are doing a No7 one
    http://www.boots.com/en/No7-Beauty-Advent-Calendar_1905702/

Prezzybox have one at £18.95
    http://www.prezzybox.com/beauty-advent-calendar.aspx

But why not get together with a friend and fill empty ones and swap £6
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advent-calendar-for-small-Items-fill-empty-christmas-/172346477174?hash=item2820a68a76:g:SAwAAOSwCGVX3puG

Start going through the freebies board for perfume samples,
    Use pick and mix at feel unique for 5 freebies a month for £3.95
    http://www.feelunique.com/pick-n-mix/
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My daughter is after the Benefit calendar, with just 12 minis and at a cost of £35 to me it's a rip off! But what do I know? Apparently it's worth double that.
    So in true M.S.E style if anyone knows of any Benefit offers I'm all ears.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • sunfield91
    sunfield91 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw one in House of Fraser this week, I had a really quick glance ,can't remember the price (about £25 I think) ,but they were all the same make of cosmetics a name I hadn't heard of
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunfield91 wrote: »
    I saw one in House of Fraser this week, I had a really quick glance ,can't remember the price (about £25 I think) ,but they were all the same make of cosmetics a name I hadn't heard of

I saw that. It sounds like their basic in-house cosmetics brand. Given the price I can't imagine they are that great. I would possibly buy it for a teen, but not for an adult.

I am not buying one. The ones by nice brands seem to expensive given the sizes you get.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There is thread somewhere about these, what ones are currently available.

I think some are suppose to be good value ie ones selling for £70 claim to have £300 pounds worth of stuff in. At 2.80 each item/day it might be worth it BUT £70 is still a lot to spend if you wouldn't have purchased those products anyway, and a lot to find all at once especially this time of year.

I have ordered myself a sanctuary spa one. £25 with a free candle which I hope is suitable for giving as a Christmas gift.

Looking forward to opening it, just hope it doesn't have whats in it on the box, I think that ruins it I will have to get someone to cover it over if it does so I don't see :)
  • tanya2014
    tanya2014 Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally am torn between the M&S one and the Loccitane one.
    I may just have to have both :)
  • Hermia
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:08PM
    Options
    My favourite tea company are making an advent calendar this year. I am tempted as it sounds healthier than a chocolate calendar!
  • bradleysmum
    Options
    This year is the first time I have treated myself to one and I've bought the Loccitane one but now I have also spotted the Sanctuary Spa and Yankee Candle. Good job I'm doing extra shifts and have finished buying everything else for Christmas!
  • Hermia
    Options
    This year is the first time I have treated myself to one and I've bought the Loccitane one but now I have also spotted the Sanctuary Spa and Yankee Candle. Good job I'm doing extra shifts and have finished buying everything else for Christmas!

I got given the Yankee Candle one a couple of years back and it was a big disappointment (obviously it might be different this year). I assumed it would be a different scent each day which would be a great way to try out their whole range. But it was just three (I think) scents repeated over and over. I didn't like one of the scents (it was like toilet cleaner) and ended up with 6 or 7 tea lights in that scent!
  • bradleysmum
    Options
    Hermia wrote: »
    I got given the Yankee Candle one a couple of years back and it was a big disappointment (obviously it might be different this year). I assumed it would be a different scent each day which would be a great way to try out their whole range. But it was just three (I think) scents repeated over and over. I didn't like one of the scents (it was like toilet cleaner) and ended up with 6 or 7 tea lights in that scent!

Hi! That doesn't sound good. I like the look of the one boots is doing, it's different to the ones on the yankee website. Might have to get instore to have a look properly to make my mind up before sending the hubby out for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure