Job dilemma what to do

I am really confused and need help please

I have been working for a company for 12 years, the company in past year has not been doing well. I know the owner and have spoken to him about the situation but he says we are trying our best to save the business, we are not paid on time but we are paid late so not that bad. Now everyone in the office either left or was asked to leave. I am the only person handling my department and a lot of other things in the office and they are overly reliant on me to get by for be it handling reception, accounts, IT as I have experience with all the things and with only 7 people left there is not a lot to do. Company is not doing well so i started applying and I found a position, but except for one point which is probably more stable company I am not getting anything extra, salary is same, work is same, timings are 30 mins extra in the new company, travelling is same, annual holidays are 2 days less in new place but that does not matter to me. So if i compare both then except the fact that I am getting more stable company to work ( but then its a new place so they could fire me in 6 months of probation) I am not getting anything extra as a push, whereas in my old company which I have been working for since 12 years, they not only are not willing to let me go but also promising that things are looking better ahead and asking me to stay back with a pay rise in 6 months once things improve. I am now so confused that I dont know whether to take the new job and move on or stay with them who did help me out when I needed the job the most 12 years ago, also with my old work place i am so comfortable I can just literally not turn up for a week and they will not say or can not say a word due to there over reliance on me, but I am so fearful of the fact that if they dont survive past 4 or 5 months, I would loose a job I have in hand ready. The new place is also looking for me to start pretty soon and are ready for me to work as a self employed and the old work place is flexible too. I am really confused as to what to do now.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, I know its probably a good situation to be in than no job but just looking for how you would look on it as please.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    In your position you should have a very clear idea where the company is going and how effective they are at increasing revenues.

the key thing is the company making profit and just has a temp cash flow or is it loosing money and payments out are getting later and later.

Getting paid late is never good sign, whats it look like on the creditors front. in some companies stock reductions are another sign that things are going bad(unless it is off loading dead stuff to buy profitable stuff)

if the hours needed for both places can be done one option is to work for both, might mean increased total load(== more money) but you would loose that 12 years service if you went freelance on both that has some value.

the current company can reduce their liability and reduce their costs for your by employing you for the amount of work there really is.

Will there be enough time to give the other company what they need

Would both be happy with this sort of arrangement.
  • Hi

Situation financially is that there is no revenue coming and that is due to the fact that there projects have been stopped by the government of those countries so they are getting there licencing sorted but at the moment they are getting no one to finance there projects as the industry is not doing well. Banks who financed the projects have taken them to court and now legal actions have started so not good. Creditors are just way too many to even handle, we had a meeting with them few weeks ago and told them we need 6 months to 1 year to put everything back to normal but personally I do not know how they will do it if they ever could, may be they are just buying time. There is going to be more dilution if new people will come on board to take the project further. I dont think the new company would like me to be working here but they are offering me to work self employed basis. I was thinking of may be telling my old company I need to look for stability and would leave and work with you on as and when needed basis outside the normal 9 to 6 hours so I can come after 6 and weekends and do your work if that is ok with them but to keep me on payroll for a lesser salary, they might be ok with it.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to be aware that in the new job they can fire you for any reason (not covered by discrimination legislation) in the first 2 years, so 6 months probation is largely irrelevant.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    in my old company which I have been working for since 12 years, they not only are not willing to let me go but also promising that things are looking better ahead and asking me to stay back with a pay rise in 6 months once things improve

Given that they can't even pay you your current salary (reliably), a promise to pay you more in six months' time is totally worthless. In your situation, to even consider staying I would want the pay rise to take immediate effect. And only if I was relaxed about the possibility that the extra income might only last a few months, and confident that I could find an equally good job to the one I'd be turning down now.
    I dont think the new company would like me to be working here but they are offering me to work self employed basis. I was thinking of may be telling my old company I need to look for stability and would leave and work with you on as and when needed basis outside the normal 9 to 6 hours so I can come after 6 and weekends and do your work if that is ok with them but to keep me on payroll for a lesser salary, they might be ok with it.

Personally I wouldn't antagonise my main source of income which I am counting on receiving for some years, in order to take on additional work from a company which might collapse in a few months and can't even be relied on to pay me for it.

Also, it would help if you used paragraphs. It is difficult to digest the amount of information in your post and determine what you need help with when you put it all in a single run-on paragraph.

This may seem pedantic but you can increase your employability considerably and very easily by improving your writing ability.
  • I see a phoenix in the making.

if there is no money coming in then it is not looking good, if there is no forward visibility of revenue or funding then they may be trading insolvent if not now very soon.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd get out now. I bet the promised pay rise in 6 months time won't.even happen, it will be a case of "it will happen in 1 months time" then "2 months".
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2016 at 12:46PM
    I'd also be questioning the self employed aspect of the new company.
    If you are working regular hours, just for one employer, and have no say in accepting or turning down work, you are unlikely to be self employed.
    This is a way to give you reduced rights and for them to avoid their obligations such as sick pay. Look into it properly as part of your decision.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I did decide that I will only go to the new company as employed and not self employed, it just made more sense every way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure