PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Obtaining Neighbour's Title Deeds?

Options
Hello all, I have recently moved into a new build and I am trying to obtain title deeds to a neighbour's new build property. I am relatively new to all this so could do with some advice!

The purpose of trying to obtain these title deeds is in regards to a dispute over a nasty looking satellite dish that they have had fitted. I have a document that I received once the purchase of the property was completed from the Land Registry;

'TP1'
Land Registry
Transfer of part of registered title(s)

In it, it details certain restrictions, such as putting up satellites. What I want to do ideally, is get a copy of the same document, but for their property, to make sure the same restrictions apply to them, as they do to me? So a few questions;

1. Is this even possible?
2. If so, where/what do I need to do to get hold of them?
3. As the neighbour has only recently moved in to their new build, it doesn't seem to appear on any land registry searches yet. Is their a way round this?

Kind regards all,

James

Comments

• paddedjohn
    Options
    Why are you bothered?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • lewisa
    lewisa Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Are you in a conservation area?
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Options
    It's probably not going to be worth the effort. The satellite dish restriction sounds like a stipulation by your Developer who seldom enforce the restriction once they complete and leave site :o.
    Mornië utulië
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Available from the Land Registry - one can obtain Title Plan on the one hand, the Register entry on the other hand. They cost a few £s each.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As Lord Baltmore suggests if yours is a new build and not in a conservation area, then the restriction will primarily be for the benefit of the builder, and for them to enforce.

Getting into a dispute with your neighbour isn't something this forum recommends, as it can often lead to much greater problems than the matter which began the disagreement. It's also something you'd need to disclose if you decided to sell-up in a few years.

I would only observe that a satellite dish is quiet, doesn't scratch your car in the night, or get the local oiks to bully your kids. There are far worse things out there.....
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In it, it details certain restrictions, such as putting up satellites. What I want to do ideally, is get a copy of the same document, but for their property, to make sure the same restrictions apply to them, as they do to me?

The restrictions will be identical to yours - after all, you don't remember negotiating them with your builder, do you?

As above, you're not necessarily going to be entitled to enforce them.

And when you say a "dispute", on what basis have you got yourself into a dispute when you don't even know whether you're entitled to object to your neighbour's dish? You realise you're likely to be required to disclose any such disputes when you come to sell?
  • griggsy2005
    Options
    Thanks all for your help. Just a little more background for anyone who is questioning my motives in regards to this matter. I really wouldn't have an issue with the dish, it was the manner that it was all done that really irks me. This dish is overhanging my garden which is the first thing, but what has really got me ticking is that the dish was fitted by breaking in to my enclosed garden. That is the bit that really bothers me. No one even bothered asking. If someone had come round beforehand and said "Is this ok?" I wouldn't even be bothered about the dish. I just can't understand how anyone can think that is an acceptable thing to do? That's, coupled with their 'can't give a S, H, one T attitude is the reason for me pursuing this. Are there any other grounds that I could get it removed as the dish is overhanging my garden?
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2016 at 8:35AM
    Options
    I can fully understand/sympathise with being annoyed about someone trespassing into your garden to do this and have had to "get firm" with neighbours that thought it was okay to do so myself.

Legally speaking - it is not allowed to be in your "airspace". Don't know what the height is deemed to be of the airspace owned over one's property - but Google should have it on there somewhere. I think, from memory, that no-one else is allowed to have their property in airspace up to about the height of a decent height tree/2 storey house over your land.

I would get it dealt with myself - even if I wasn't anti-satellite dishes.

Personally - I'd get a copy of the neighbours Register entry and check out what height of airspace exactly home-owners own over and above their land. Then I'd go round to the neighbour and give them "benefit of doubt" and say something along the lines of "I guess you didnt realise your workmen came into my garden to put up your dish? Blimmin' workmen <laugh laugh>. They do tend to do things like that don't they <laugh laugh>. However - they did do so without asking my permission and the dish is overhanging my garden - so can you please arrange to have it moved so that it doesnt? I'll give my permission for them to come in to do that - provided I know when it will be and I will arrange to be in at the time".

Just keep it up your sleeve about having their Register entry and knowing the exact height of your airspace above your ground unless you need to mention these facts (ie if they refuse to do it).

There shouldnt be any question of a dispute arising. They should apologise to a polite/"we're all in it together against workmen not doing their jobs properly" tone of voice and instantly apologise and agree to get it moved. In which case - end of problem = no dispute.
    Options
    To date I've found:

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/land-law/land-ownership/

hence you can see why the law allows people to cut back any portion of a neighbours plants that overhang our land.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Those damned "workmen" again, money! If only they'd been women!

But haven't you noticed, there's already a dispute?

You're correct about overhanging, but what to do?

It could probably be taken down (carefully) and returned without repercussions in a legal sense, but first, you'd need some large, thick-skinned "workmen" to do the job.....

However, as I said earlier, what happens after that is in the lap of the gods, so if it were me, I'd be looking for something different in the way of a solution. A tall non deciduous tree comes to mind....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure