Libertus journey to financial freedom!

Options
Welcome to my diary!

I am happy to tell you that in the last year, I have made great progress in almost all areas of my life (and this was really necessary, because I wasn't doing so well before that); my fitness level and health, my career, my character and also my finance. Moreover, I have learnt a lot about myself and I have gotten a grip on my life; basically, I know much more about how to take good care of myself and how I can effectively improve myself and reach my goals. That said, there is still a lot of work to do (there is always a lot of work to do ;)). Further improving my finances has shifted to the top of my list now. I have some debts to repay, and now that I have started a serious career, I am able to do so. However, in order to achieve it, I will need to make some changes. I either have to increase my income or decrease my expenses (or both). Increasing my income is certainly a possibility on the medium to long term, but it's not a worthwhile goal to pursue on the short term, because I am still early in my career and it's not yet time to ask for a raise or to start a side business (though I will come back to that later). If I want to save more money on the short term, this can easily be achieved if I reduce my expenses. I waste a lot of money on all sorts of things, most importantly: food and drinks. In the last months, I have already cut out some of them (smoking and alcohol), but there are still a lot of opportunities left.

Here is a list of some of my largest money wasters:
1. Coffee & snacks at coffeehouses. I estimate that I spend 100-200 euros per month on that.
2. Packaged meals at supermarkets & buying meals at restaurants. I don't cook that often (I find it difficult to motivate myself to cook for just myself). Potential savings: 50-100 euros per month.
3. Luxury foods at supermarket. If I would pay a bit more attention to price at the supermarket, and if I were to go to the regular market or a cheaper market more often, I could save another 50-100 euros per month.
4. Prepared sandwiches at lunch. I think I could save about 50-100 euros per month if I were to prepare my own lunch.
5. Monthly interest for being in the red: 15 euros. Totally unnecessary expense.
6. I keep buying new books, even though I don't read most of them (though I want to, because I find most of them interesting). I'd better start reading my books and wait (6-12 months) for buying new ones. Potential savings: 25 euros per month.
7. Phone bill: in a few months I can get a new phone bill, enabling me to save 10 euros per month.
8. Random expenses, like cables, office supplies, etc. I could save another 50 euros per month on these if I were to pay attention to the price and refrain from buying some of these.

Based on this list, I expect to be able to save 350-600 euros per month. I barely saved 600 euros in the last 3 months, but I estimate that I can save 600-1200 euros per month if I would start making these savings (and some others that I have not mentioned).

So, this is what I will do:
Mission 1: cut out the listed unnecessary expenses
I will start cutting them all out at the same time in the form of a 30-day challenge, but if I feel it's too challenging, I will make a conscious decision to let go one or a few for them (for the time being).
A second part of this challenge is not to make any big expenses this month. Last month I bought a 300 euro display, which is very useful at work, but I find myself planning to buy other things as well, and I should not do this, especially because I have a debt at the bank. If I live very cheaply, I could potentially repay that debt in a month, and certainly in two months, a goal that is really worth the effort!

I will post updates on how it is going. If I spend any money on the things I listed, I will share it. If I discover further money-wasters that did not make the list (but are also important), I will discuss them, and I may add them to my mission. I will also share it when I encounter difficulties, which will certainly happen, we all know that changing habits is not easy. So, while cutting out all of these expensive luxury products, I will look for cheaper alternatives that are just as fulfilling. For example, I can buy some good coffee beans and make my own coffee at home, instead of getting it at a coffeehouse.

After completing this mission, I will set new missions to further improve my financial situation. I expect the next mission to be tracking my income and expenses, and when that is a solid habit I may sell some items and making some further reductions to my expenses.

I am open to advice and feedback, so feel free to share it! You are also welcome to join if you like, i will support you! :)

Comments

• Libertus
    Libertus Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2016 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Quick update, I just wanted to share my first (minor) victory:

I was at the supermarket, and I was very consciously trying to buy just what I needed, paying attention to the price as well. I am quite content. I feel silly sharing this, it's not like this is a big deal, but I think it's useful to celebrate early victories.

Now let's try to keep doing this for a week.
  • purplefran
    Options
    Hi and well done on your saving money start. I also get satisfaction from saving money in the supermarket etc. I think it is easy to do the big things - switch energy supplier, mobile phone contract, cancel Sky etc but it is the smaller things which take more thought and prove that we are back in control. Good luck xxx
    Grocery Challenge £2400/Spent £90.73
    £2024 in 2024 - £605.27
    DF 30/11/22
    Retired 31/12/23
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business