It's a sorry state of affairs.....

Options
2»

Comments

• miserly_mum
    Options
    I seriously don't give a poop and no doubt a lot of other MSE er's don't either.

Find something more interesting for Gawds Sake
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    alanclose wrote: »
    Maybe we could have a sticky, places to eat out and places to avoid at all costs. Its doing a disservice to readers of this forum not to warn them of rip offs
    I think that may be part of the problem. We are all much more likely to have a good moan about something (usually trivia) but not spend equal time patting others on the back for going that extra mile (often we do not even notice) ... you only have to look at the difference in the counts between the 5-star and vent boards in this forum.

If there was a sticky then it should be no more than places we would recommend and why and placs we would not recommend and why ... I think the concept of 'avoid at all costs' and 'rip off' is not helpful ... I have been to restaurants where I have had a bad meal but on other occasions had an excellent meal ... I have been to highly recommended restaurants and been disappointed and have been to restaurants where I have read bad reports and been pleasantly surprised. Some people blow minor issues out of proportion others seem to be able to handle major issues without a problem .. we are all different.

I would suggest to try to keep recommendaitons (good and bad) objective .. having said that the vent board would not be half-as-much fun if peple were not over-reacting :D

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Robothell
    Options
    I dunno.....like I said it's setting a dangerous precedent. Either it's all OK or none of it is.....if this isn't nipped in the bud it could ruin the integrity of the site.

Ollywood, if you hear back from them would it be possible to post a quick summary of the reply?
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • blondie21
    Options
    alanclose wrote: »
    With the last few posts seemingly originating from the proprietor I would not be surprised if he had asked for it to be removed.

Maybe we could have a sticky, places to eat out and places to avoid at all costs. Its doing a disservice to readers of this forum not to warn them of rip offs
    Fantastic idea.
    Ther is nothing as disappointing as going out for meal and not enjoying it. I feel cheated that i have wasted my money
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    blondie21 wrote: »
    Ther is nothing as disappointing as going out for meal and not enjoying it. I feel cheated that i have wasted my money
    Why feel cheated? Bring it politely to the attention of the waiter/waitress and say that you are unwilling to pay for that part of the meal. A few weeks ago we had a lovely starter and main course in a restaurant but the dessert was very disappointing ... when the waitress came round to ask if everything was OK instead of the usual 'Yes, its fine' I said that I was disappointed with the dessert (which was obvious since both DW and I had eaten less than half and had no intention of finishing it). The waitress asked for someone more senior to talk to me, I quietly explained how nice rest of the meal had been but the dessert was poor .. he offered another dessert but neither of us could have managed one so he said he would deduct the cost from the bill (which he did).

I think on many occasions chefs would actually like to hear proper constructive criticism (but definitely not amateur chefs comments :))

Having said that this would not have addressed the original isue that started the original post.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did Mr Jeffers make a contribution to the MSE mod christmas party:eek:

well for God's sake don't book it for Bangor on the Marina this year, cause thats not very MSE ;)

Waits while thread is now removed also:mad:
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Hi Folks

The thread in question was taken down pending investigation. It's important to realise that Martin is the person who takes ultimate responsibility for the site and the comments posted (and therefore potentially in the firing line), and therefore if a thread is taken down, you can be sure there is a good reason for it. As we make it clear, we do not explain these reasons externally:

> The Forum Team < Specifically the last point

Whilst we are happy for people to ask general questions, some of the comments here are a little unfair. We are providing the opportunity for you to discuss, for free. In return we expect people to realise that there are sometimes reprecussions and to respect Martin, the team and the site when things are removed. It's important that our users can discuss and we manage it as effectively as we can within certain parameters.

I hope this helps clarify our position a little.

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing