Armed forces pension

Options
Can anyone explain how my RAF pension works as I wasn't told when I left and can't find anything that helps. I did 8 years service between 1996 and 2004. I've been told it's worth £3500 per year. Will it still be the same in 20 years when I claim it or does it go up with inflation or anything else. Basically I know nothing about it. Thanks

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 September 2016 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Hello. It will increase each year in line with inflation (previously RPI, but now CPI).

In your case it's payable from age 60, but you will have to contact them 3 or 4 months before your birthday. Don't wait for them to contact you, because they won't. When you write, you will need to quote your NI number and your RAF service number in addition to your dates of service.

I'm ex RAF as well, and my role as a Personnel Administrator included finalising discharge paperwork. When you left, you would have been given a folder containing your RAF discharge paperwork and an envelope containing pension information.
  • Shentzr
    Options
    Great thanks for that. I don't remember getting pension info but I probably lost it. Do you know if I can get this again?
  • Silvertabby
    edited 26 September 2016 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Hi - you (and I) were in AFPS75. You can have a look at the scheme booklet by googling AFPS75 then picking up rules/scheme guide etc.

Forgot to mention that you won't just get the annual pension you quoted - you'll also get a one-off tax free lump sum of 3 times the pension.

On the dark side, if you are married don't forget to tell your wife/husband that she/he can claim a 50% spouse's pension straight away if you don't make it to 60.
  • Shentzr
    Options
    Brilliant thanks for that. I need to get my pension forecast as well. Is it that place in Glasgow that I need to write to?
  • Shentzr
    Options
    Also, can you tell me in simple terms if I can pay more money into my Raf pension even though I've left, and how it works. It says something about it on that website but I don't understand it properly. Thanks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shentzr wrote: »
    Also, can you tell me in simple terms if I can pay more money into my Raf pension even though I've left, and how it works. It says something about it on that website but I don't understand it properly. Thanks
    No, that option was only available whilst serving.

Yes, the Glasgow address is who you need to contact.
  • Shentzr
    Options
    Anybody know a good pensions advisor in Staffordshire?
  • Silvertabby
    edited 26 September 2016 at 1:29PM
    Options
    Try the AFPS Deferred Pension Calculator (Google AFPS75 and it's on the options list) and please let us know how easy/accurate it is - I think molerat's like me (22 years +) so we can't try it.

Cheers
  • Shentzr
    Options
    I can't find this. Can you send me a link?
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shentzr wrote: »
    Anybody know a good pensions advisor in Staffordshire?

Don't know about Staffordshire specifically, but for someone who knows about forces stuff try:

http://www.fiveraday.co.uk/about/

(don't have any connection/ recommendation, just seen some useful posts online from the author).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure