best friends 40th birthday treat

My best friends is 40 in October and I've said I will arrange a treat day on her birthday for her, her mum and myself but i'm struggling to find things to do that don't cost a fortune or we haven't done. I am taking a birthday breakfast hamper around in the morning and then I was going to take her for a massage at the local college but they aren't booking them yet and all the other salons are too expensive. I have lunch sorted but that's all. Does anyone have any ideas as I've racked my brains and i'm coming up with nothing that's different. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Where are you? A bit of local knowledge might help?
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    as for the college - surely there be booking from Sept - could u wait then to book x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • i'm I north devon and tried lots of local activity places and most are shut as it's term time and some are too expensive.

The college's don't have them trained enough until the new year they told me. I'm looking into mobile therapist at the moment.
    thanks.
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Anything decent on Groupon?

Always getting this sort of offer on my local deals, but I'm further east than you.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    To me, a treat would be a pub lunch.

Maybe you're overstretching it ... and, don't forget, if you go OTT now what the heck are you going to do in 10 years' time when you'll feel obliged to "trump that".
  • I second groupon, maybe you can find a few hours at a spa mid morning.

What about cocktail making at a local bar? Then off for lunch?

What is your budget for the activity?
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I bought my best friend some gifts (quite a few and some expensive) , but her favourite presents were a photo of us when we were about five together and a poem I wrote - not a sentimental one really but a silly rhyming one about growing up together, made a huge embarrassing card covered in glitter and old photos and stuck the poem inside, it didn't just make her cry , but some of her family too :D

I guess I'm trying to say it's the time and effort not the cost that matter, a full day together doing things she likes. Does it have to be some thing new? Maybe a day out as suggested, massage , maybe lunch - most restaurants have vouchercodes, then her favourite film and popcorn/ wine in the evening together. Or perhaps a mix cd of old favourite songs from the past you both used to listen to?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure