Options
12345679»

Comments

• redandwhitestripes
    redandwhitestripes Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2016 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Your quote
    'Every weekend I get the Sunday night blues, every day I dread going into work and at night I can't stop thinking about work. I then get stressed out and take it out on my kids and hate myself for doing it. At work I panic every time the phone goes or I get an email, through fear of what may await me on the other end.'

I feel for you , I really do.
    This is exactly how I feel in my job - I also have a 4 hour daily commute thrown in.
    Differences are I am mid 40s with no wife or kids.
    I have savings for about a year but still can't make the very scary decision to resign without a job. My mental state is not very good so I wonder if i would be making the right decision and I keep churning over the same thoughts in my head.

I applaud you for taking the plunge.
    How do you feel now?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I quit a job that was making me miserable.
    I used to feel physically sick at the thought of going to work . It was an industry I loved and a position I excelled at but my boss was dreadful , with hindsight she had MH issues .

I felt I couldn't quit as I was a single parent but I had a weekend away and away from work, son and was with friends in an entirely different environment I realised that I felt like me again and not the stressed lump of tenseness I had become. I never went back, it took six months before I worked again because I had lost all my confidence and took several months before I could even apply for jobs. I do believe had I stayed I'd have had a breakdown. My next job I'm in my ninth year with the company. The one thing I'd say to the OP is don't look for the perfect job ,it doesn't exist , but be very clear on what your must haves and your can compromise areas are when job hunting.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just an update for completeness.

I did quit, I also had therapy.

It was the best thing I did.

I actually managed to find a new role before I left the old one. I had 6 weeks off between the two roles and I am now in my new role and I have realised that it was the old job.

I am so much happier now, things have been the best for years.
    Horrible jobs and horrible bosses make your life a living hell, make you question your own abilities and make you doubt everything about yourself.

If anyone else is reading this and is in the same position: quit. Life is too short.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did wonder about you! Thank you for coming back and providing an update, especially great news. Very pleased for you.
  • purplegrape
    purplegrape Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    That's fantastic news, well done! :beer:

I also quit my job and started contracting in November. Whenever I meet with old colleagues I realise it's definitely the organisation and not me that made that job not work. Despite a tight few months with funds I am so much happier.

I'm just about to start a job working at a local charity in a role I've always wanted to try - if I'd not quit I'd never have even considered it.

I agree - if the numbers add up - quit!
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OP - glad to hear you made the decision.

I quit my well paid job in London in 2014 without another job to go to. Went temping locally for a while and now permanent in a job from Jan last year.

I've taken a huge drop in salary but can afford to live and have a quality of life and my mental and physical health has improved.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    Well done Scorpio and others. I was also in a very similar situation, earning close to £50k and on paper had the perfect job. However, the isolation, backwards and frustrating nature of the company really dragged my energy down and brought me into depression. I also sort therapy which to my surprise helped.

I thought it was me being !!!! at my job why the performance was not there and the general pressures of life why I was borderline suicidal. Turns out 90% was the job. Now that I am quitting, even without having another job lined up, I feel so much better. My motivation has gone up enough to at least apply for jobs where before I was literally counting down days to where my life insurance policy will pay out if I committed suicide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure