MSE News: 'Hopper fare' makes millions of London bus journeys free

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
9 replies 1.9K views
MSE_LukeMSE_Luke MSE Staff
295 posts
Fourth Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
London commuters and visitors can hop on two buses for the price of one for journeys within an hour from today...
Read the full story:
''Hopper fare' makes millions of London bus journeys free'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that the kind of system they have in Holland and Germany?
    You buy a strip, or card, punch in when you board the first bus, and it's valid for on hour.

No Tube and Overground? Not very integrated, is it?

Wouldn't be a sneaky way of relieving overcrowded trains, would it?

My Plug-in hybrid allows me to do a round trip into central London for £1.20, on one charge. No congestion charge, but parking costs money, so I turn up after 6:30pm, and park for free. If I went by Oyster, it's more like ~£3 by bus, or ~£5 by tube, per person. For more people, it's even worth paying for parking during the day.
  • giraffe69giraffe69 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Plug-in hybrid allows me to do a round trip into central London for £1.20, on one charge. No congestion charge, but parking costs money, so I turn up after 6:30pm, and park for free. If I went by Oyster, it's more like ~£3 by bus, or ~£5 by tube, per person. For more people, it's even worth paying for parking during the day.

Then if it works for you take the car but I would have thought for those who have to take two buses for their journey it will be a significant advantage.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »
    Isn't that the kind of system they have in Holland and Germany?
    You buy a strip, or card, punch in when you board the first bus, and it's valid for on hour.

No Tube and Overground? Not very integrated, is it?

It's being rolled out to include tube/overground in 2018.

What I'd like to know is where Mr Khan thinks the money is going to come from to finance this scheme. All government subsidies for TfL end in 2020, making London the only major city in the world with no government funding for public transport and Mr Khan is now giving transport away for free.

Once this scheme is rolled out over the entire network TfL will be losing money hand over fist.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's being rolled out to include tube/overground in 2018.

What I'd like to know is where Mr Khan thinks the money is going to come from to finance this scheme.

In central London, you can probably get to where you want to go by Tube, without a bus connection, but I would suspect a lot of people living in the suburbs would need a bus to get to the nearest tube first. So the natural journey would be bus-tube outward, and tube-bus homeward.

The Oyster system gets all the journey information anyway, so it must be the tube fare is too lucrative to give up.

I have a feeling this is more to do with relieving rush hour crushing on the tube.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that it would have that much effect on revenue. People may hop on a bus for a few stops knowing this is free rather than walking part of a journey as they do now. Other people may make journeys which involve a few changes knowing it is all on one fare that they would otherwise not have taken or decided to do by car.

It may not help reducing obesity if it encourages people to walk less!
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pincher wrote: »
    In central London, you can probably get to where you want to go by Tube, without a bus connection, but I would suspect a lot of people living in the suburbs would need a bus to get to the nearest tube first. So the natural journey would be bus-tube outward, and tube-bus homeward.

The Oyster system gets all the journey information anyway, so it must be the tube fare is too lucrative to give up.

I have a feeling this is more to do with relieving rush hour crushing on the tube.

But how many of those people, come 2018 when the tube is included, will get their bus and tube as normal then get off a stop earlier and hop on a bus so that all they have to pay to get into central London from say Zone 5 is £1.50? That's when they will start losing huge amounts.

The money has to come from somewhere, I guess it's goodbye to new trains on the Central, Northern and Bakerloo lines.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ThemeOneThemeOne Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great step forward and long overdue, and it's good to hear it'll be extended to include the tube in 2018.

Toronto in Canada, and probably many other places, had a similar system way back in the 70s -it was simple and low-tech - when you boarded a bus and you knew you'd have to change to another bus or subway to complete your journey, you simply asked for a transfer ticket which enabled you to do so.

It's only taken London 40 years to catch up!
  • NBLondonNBLondon Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably it will be like "any 3 for 2" - cheapest item free. So if you use bus and Tube within an hour - the bus is free. If it's all on the same Oyster/contactless card it will get worked out at the end of the day same as the capping.

So it might be cheaper to get off the Tube at the last stop in Zone 2 and bus it over the border to a Zone 1 destination but for many commuters - the question will be whether the money saved is worth the extra time taken on the bus. If it's a short enough distance - moneysavers would already be walking that last leg.

I suspect it will only work with Tf|L Overground - not Southern and SouthEastern so I'll be sticking with my travelcard anyway.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • That's all very well but it doesn't include domestic flights. Badly thought out as I'm going to Glasgow for my holiday. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support